• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pecards or ELC's?

johnwayne

Just for general conditioning has anyone any comments on which is best or am I not comparing like for like?
Pecards direct from US is cheaper than ELC's albeit there's 2 bottles of the latter but they don't say the content amount for £29.00 whereas its £20.00 inc postage for 16fl.oz for the Pecards!
Incidentally I have a leather sofa in almost A2 russet, purely coincidental, that has a few areas with slight fading so I'm hoping it may work on that too!!
Appreciate any comments please.

B-Man2

There was just a posting regarding Pecards and I was surprised to learn that JC at GoodWear prefers a very light coat of Vaseline. I would have to think that might darken the color of a russet A2 a bit, but just my opinion.

Smithy

I've been using RM Williams Saddle Dressing for yonks on everything from jackets to boots, bags, you name it. It's great stuff and doesn't go rancid. If it's easy to find, well worth picking up a tin.

s4rmark

I believe the ELC leather conditioner is supplied by gliptone and is available on gliptones uk website . It is the gt 13.5 leather conditioner. Hope this info is useful to you . I had both and looks feels and smells the same.

Roughwear

I have used Pecards for years and found it to work well providing it is applied lightly. It has certainly brought very tired A-2s and Irvins back to life. No conditioner will deal with leather rot or decay though. BTW the 16 oz tub is far better value than the 6oz one.

johnwayne

Thanks everyone - Antique Leather Co is actually where I got my price from but it led me to think it still came from the States!
I'll check the others out but somehow don't envisage going down the Vaseline route despite my faith in JC and everything he does, I imagine it would leave a greasy residue even after a good buffing!

Roughwear

Yes, Wayne they are imported from the USA and the price has increased recently due the the weaker pound.:(

Spitfireace

The guy who has been working on my repro A-2 said that Lexol is a great product because its not a paste. Paste type conditioners can destroy leather if overused. I haven't tried it yet myself. Has anyone had experience with it?

Skyhawk

Pecards has a Vaseline as a base so is pretty much like using Vaseline. I don't use it anymore I use Renapur. Same idea but in a beeswax base and works better IMO. No residue or harsh chemicals.

I have used Gliptone as well. It is a liquid conditioner not a paste and has a leather scent added. You just kind of sponge it on lightly and it soaks in. I don't think it has the deep conditioning power of Renapur or Pecards, but seems to do a good job.

I got my Gliptone years ago when they just had the Automotive leather treatment liquid. Now they have a ton of products. Could be that the liquid conditioners for jackets and cars are the same, just different packaging for marketing purposes. The automotive Gliptone stuff I have works well on jackets. Should be OK for furniture as well.

Regards,
Jay

Smithy

I'm also looking for some info here, please:

Pecards and ELC are a bit pricey for me. JC recommends vaseline, but some people advise to steer clear of it. @s4rmark says gliptone is the same as ELC, but which one?
https://www.liquidleather.com/leather-care-c57/conditioners-c85

Also, how do you apply these?

Thanks!

One thing Greg, don't over do it with whatever you use and in truth a new jacket shouldn't need it for several years unless it experiences regular high fluctuations in temperature (very hot summers and very cold winters) or it's constantly exposed to bad weather..

Not ELC or that other stuff but with the RM Williams goo I've always applied it with either my fingers or a lint free rag and used small amounts which I've rubbed in until it's been absorbed. Leave it over night and then with another clean lint free rag wipe the whole jacket down and leave for 24 to 48 hours before using. That's just how I do it and it works.

Skip

I use Pecards for specific purposes, depending on the jacket. and have also used their antique leather dressing on our leather lounge and have found it to be good for that too, although it takes a lonnnggg time to do. It does darken the leather of both jackets and lounge, but will lighten back to normal as you wear it (obviously not the lounge :rolleyes:). If you have a really bad, stiff, old piece of leather then I'd use vaseline. As mentioned above JC uses it and so does Dave (Maverickson) who gets some pretty ratty old stiff leather shells and nurses them back to life with vaseline, leaving it to dry in the sun till its supple. Not sure how that would work on the stitching with a more complete leather jacket.

I also remember a thread along the same lines where Ken of aeroleather advised he used a product that was kind on the stitching and didnt darken the leather, you could always pm him if he doesn't chime in here.

jeremiah

Yeah. I have used vasoline. If it were not for the shipping costs of the ELC, even with HP, I’d try it. I use pecards on my whips though. Good stuff when applied conservatively.

zoomer

Has anyone tried the colored Pecard dressings...I might like my ELC Pearl a little darker...

Officer Dibley

Anyone use Saddle Soap ? I used it a couple of times on a 1941 camo leather jerkin and it softened it up but dried up so well that there is zero residue.

Thinking about what to do with my GW as it sucks water in like a sponge in the rain. Also hoping a coat of something might stop the squeaking......

Steve27752

Anyone use Saddle Soap ? I used it a couple of times on a 1941 camo leather jerkin and it softened it up but dried up so well that there is zero residue.

Thinking about what to do with my GW as it sucks water in like a sponge in the rain. Also hoping a coat of something might stop the squeaking......
Email JC and ask him.

Smithy

I've been using RM Williams Saddle Dressing on anything leather for donkeys years and can't recommend it enough. Fantastic stuff.

Officer Dibley

Email JC and ask him.
I thought of that Steve but....
A. He's a busy guy with lots to do and his response times are, well, apparently not quick.
B. If he replies, i'm taking up valuable time he should either be using to make the backlog of jackets or responding to those waiting on a jacket and who expect a level of attention comensurate with the amount of money they are putting in....
C. Leather is leather, there are many ways to protect & preserve it and JC's already mentioned using Vaseline does not appeal to me.

Dover

The guy who has been working on my repro A-2 said that Lexol is a great product because its not a paste. Paste type conditioners can destroy leather if overused. I haven't tried it yet myself. Has anyone had experience with it?
I have used Lexol extensively, although not on my jackets. We have horses and it works well on saddles, boots, and tack. It is a liquid and I apply it liberally to all our
leather goods. It keeps riding gear pliable and supple even when stored in the barn. Doesn't seem to change the color of the leather noticeably. Very affordable as well.