• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pecards or ELC's?

Smithy

Continued stickiness with leather conditioners/dressings comes from an over application of the product. There's too much of the product applied to be worked into the leather, and as it sits on the surface it will become tacky.

The best thing you can do it wipe as much of the excess off as possible with a lint free cloth and leave it somewhere warm (not hot or close to direct heat but rather an airing cupboard or some place like that). Leather dressing is one of those things where less is more.

taikonaut

Continued stickiness with leather conditioners/dressings comes from an over application of the product. There's too much of the product applied to be worked into the leather, and as it sits on the surface it will become tacky.

The best thing you can do it wipe as much of the excess off as possible with a lint free cloth and leave it somewhere warm (not hot or close to direct heat but rather an airing cupboard or some place like that). Leather dressing is one of those things where less is more.

Thanks Smithy. Its not as sticky to the point that its necessary to wipe off the excess. I sat on a sleeve by accident for a few minutes while examining the jacket and that area being sat on became warm and felt much dryer. I will try your suggestion with the airing cupboard the extra warm might do the trick.

taikonaut

Update. I think the airing cupboard method is working but may take another week or so for the jacket to dry.
I have used the Eastman conditioner on other jackets even a new jacket and they don't get quite as sticky as with this particular one. What is unusual is there is an area near the shoulder that don't ever get sticky even when the conditioner still sit on the surface over that area. It could be the previouse owner has treated the jacket with something and the conditioner has made that substance wet again so the combination of the two substance cause the jacket to go sticky.

taikonaut

It came into a bit of a stalemate. Although it is drying the stickiness did not go away or albeit very slowly. I got so fed up and grabbed a bottle of camellia oil and sprayed over the jacket and rubbed it with my hands. The stickiness is now almost all gone. Camellia oil is good for skin and hair, odourless, so it must be good for leather. Jacket now feel robust and clean. I would'nt use this stuff on a vintage jacket that has patina as it probably tries to heal it without seeking further advice but for modern jackets that needed condition I will now consider it.

Flightengineer

s-l1600.jpg

My friend brought me from US such conditioner. He received it directly from the manufacturer's website. Despite the manufacturer’s promises that it will smell like good leather it has a terrible chemical smell like vinegar. Either they changed the formula, or ... So beware Glipton's conditioner in a new package. The smell is really nasty. Probably I'll throw it in the trash.

I had certain hopes for it.
Have to go back to the good old Peсard