• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pecards Alternative...?

London Cabbie

I threw my brand new goatskin Wested Indy into washing machine it’s come out really nice, a little bit dry in places. Will constantly wearing it add some moisture back into it or do I have to give it a feed....?
Is Pecards the best, or is there an alternative in the UK..?
Thanks.
LC

Southoftheborder

Lots of alternatives. Buffalo sells lots of them for different hides. But simple petroleum jelly will do as well as anything. After all that's what Picards is mostly. I used it on a repro B3 for years with excellent results.

Saint-ex

MikeyB-17

You can get Pecard’s in the UK. Even Amazon do it. Think I got mine from here:-

Smithy

RM Williams saddle and leather dressing. Been around for donkeys years and is quite simply brilliant. Doesn't go rancid, doesn't rot stitching. I've been using it on anything leather for eons and it really is some of the best stuff you can buy.

Lorenzo_l

ELC has a product called Horse Oil, which they claim is made from 100% natural ingredients:

As with everything ELC these days, it is not exactly cheap....

2BM2K

Renapaur Not available in UK...

I also use it, good stuff.

Southoftheborder

I use pure neatsfoot oil among other things. But the mineral oil in the compound stuff can rot stitching over a very long period. Pure neatsfoot oil doesn't.

To be honest most of this stuff does as well as any other. I also use cheap plain dubbing sometimes which works well too. The very expensive conditioners are promoted because they're profitable. But unless it's a museum conservation job I don't think they're any better than the cheaper long used alternatives. And I've been using all sorts of conditioners and waterproofers for about fifty years.

Last edited:

jeremiah

Yeah but I like the color the compound gives my natural colored skirting leather. So I stock that for coloring some of my belts.

Carl

What about good old SADDLE SOAP? I was watching a program on BBC 2 " The Repair Shop" and the lady who does the leather work on there ( and hell is she good at what she does as she is a master saddler !!) uses it on all old leather .
Just saying .
Carl

Southoftheborder

Yes, but I mostly use that for cleaning. I recently found a saddle soap that was very well recommended.

Lincoln Lanolised Leather Soap. As the name says it contains lanolin and it's better than the Carrs Saddle Soap I used for years.