• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pecard an original? Pecard questions

A

Anonymous

Ever tried Pecards on original horse A-2?
Does it bring it back to life, or damages it?

Do I have to clean it somehow (how?) before I pecard it?
Which pecards product to use?

thanks

CBI

yes, works great, no worries, a little at a time applied with your finger.

dmar836

I do have one original that appears to have been treated. It's goat so that may have an effect but I find it to have a strange, tacky, almost greasy feel to it. It doesn't come off or unusually attract dust and I cannot even be sure that Pecards was used. Just an FYI as I have heard Pecards describes as "greasy".
Chances are if the leather is rotted or otherwise perished, no amount of treatment will "bring it back to life."
I still think pure neatsfoot oil is about as harmless as they come.
JMO,
Dave

TankBuster

Dave has some valid points, however I can add some firsthand info.... I have collected vintage A-2 jackets for years and have applied Pecards to a few jackets. I wouldn't recommend treating goatskin jackets with Pecards as it does not soak in properly. On horsehide jackets it has worked great however if overapplied can lead to a chalky residue that is tough to get rid of. Apply a very light application and let it soak in. If it soaks in quickly, add another light coating. Keep repeating the process until it takes quite a while (Roughly 2-3 weeks) for it to soak in and then you should be all set.

Jaguar46

I have use Pecards on goatskin, both new and old. New goat takes it up like crazy, morso than horsehide. Older G1's take a bit longer, but it does soften up dried stiff goatskin jackets. To hasten the process, I leave the jacket in a warm spot, like in the back seat of my car parked outside, which softens it up and makes the leather softer still. After a few days, it is not tacky to the touch. At first, it seems like one is putting vaseline on the leather, but it is not vaseline. It seems to evaporate. I wish I knew what it is made from/of.

dmar836

ButteMT61 said:
CBI said:
if its done slowly/lightly with finger, goat SHOULD be no problem.

That just sounds wrong... :lol:

I just about spit coffee all over the monitor. Good one!

I know it's a played subject but anyone care to show any before/after shots of Pecards applications? I certainly have nothing against it but would love to see examples.

Dave

Andrew

Here's some examples of a few of mine from a few years ago, it generally relaxes the leather but it does darken it unfortunately. These days I prefer to leave an item alone unless it's really dried out and stressed.

combo.jpg

combo04.jpg

ButteMT61

dmar836 said:
Wow. Great results. Did you avoid the paint or go over that and the name tag?
Dave

I only ever took pics (I know) once. It was a USWings G-1. It did great. It was a post HWT session, and I placed it on a blanket in the sun to warm up. Went on like butter - but because of that. You gotta be careful and not put too much on. Jacket was awesome when done. Took a couple days to dry out, then I polished it by hand with a small towel. Never used it on my HH or FQHH yet as they're all too new. Works great on goat.

Members online

Latest posts