• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patching AVI M-422A

Which patch?

• VF(AW)-4 Nightcappers felt patch

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • VPB-71 Black Cats leather patch

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

coolhandluke

I recently purchased two patches to potentially use on my AVI M-422A. I originally planned to patch the jacket with a 4.75" hand painted leather VPB-71 squadron patch from seller dblowrider on eBay.

While waiting for the VPB-71 patch to arrive from Argentina, I ran across a nicely made VF(AW)-4 felt patch and am a little torn about which direction to go.

At this point, I'm heavily leaning towards the felt Nightcappers patch, strictly due to the baseball theme. Does anyone feel this is a mistake? Below are photos of the felt patch mocked up on the jacket, along with photos of the hand painted VPB-71 patch.

Thanks in advance for your input.

20220622_181743.jpg

20220622_181758.jpg

SmartSelect_20220611-183055_Gallery.png

Last edited:

mulceber

I like the nightcappers patch - you don't see felt patches around all that much, it's an unusual shape, and (personally) I like the Latin motto ("night is my helper").

I'll also throw in that, if you're going to dress up an AVI jacket with patches, it'd be cool to do some upgrades just to give it that extra bit of authenticity: authentic spec label from Steve Sellers, original talon M-42 slider from MASH (or an original Talon M-39 slider from Dave Sheeley - both are accurate). That's just me though.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

I like the nightcappers patch - you don't see felt patches around all that much, it's an unusual shape, and (personally) I like the Latin motto ("night is my helper").

I'll also throw in that, if you're going to dress up an AVI jacket with patches, it'd be cool to do some upgrades just to give it that extra bit of authenticity: authentic spec label from Steve Sellers, original talon M-42 slider from MASH (or an original Talon M-39 slider from Dave Sheeley - both are accurate). That's just me though.

Thanks for the input Jan. I thought the Nightcappers patch was unique as well. I'd love to add one of Steve's labels, but I'm a little hesitant to do so in the event that my hand stitching looked like garbage.

Would you suggest using brown or matching yellow thread when sewing on the squadron patch? I'm hoping that a local motorcycle leather shop can machine sew the patch onto the jacket.

Last edited: