• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patches incorporating a B-24

Yardstick

I recently finished a 755th BS patch with features a stylised B-24. This got me thinking that the B-24 seems to feature in more designs than any other aircraft, with the P-38 and B-17 probably coming a close second. Obviously, these units were very proud of the aircraft they flew but the drawback was that once that once an aircraft type was replaced then the unit emblem became a bit of an anathema and would need to be updated. Anyway, this gave me the idea to post images of patches that I have done featuring B-24s. I may do a few other aircraft types over the coming weeks.

First up the aforementioned 755th BS, 458th BG, an 8th AAF unit based at Horsham St. Faith, in Norfolk.
Img_0404.jpg

Next is the sister squadron the 754th BS.
Img_1336.jpg

Moving to the MTO, we have two versions of the the 831st BS, 485th BG - one incised and painted on leather and the other painted directly onto pre-sealed canvas.
Img_2023.jpg

Img_1818 (1).jpg

Sticking with the MTO, we move onto the 456th BG, with incised leather versions of the 745th and 747th BS.
Img_e1195.jpg

Img_e1192.jpg

Next is another MTO unit 830th BS, 458th BG although to be honest I think this is a crew / aircraft patch rather than the squadron patch (which I don't think there was one).
Img_1230.jpg

Another MTO unit, the group patch this time 451st BG.
Img_1821.jpg

Switching back to the ETO, we have the 330th BS, 93rd BG, 8th AAF which flew out of Hardwick, Norfolk.
Img_1301.jpg

Last edited:

Yardstick

Finally there are a few I've posted in other threads - so I’ll only post thumbnails of these.

Two versions of the 320th BS, 90th BG
Img_1326.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

And finally, the 702nd BS, 445th BG.
Img_0347.jpg

In sorting through the above I have come across quite a few more designs incorporating the B-24 that I have yet to tackle, so they should keep me busy for a while :D .

Last edited:

Yardstick

Never seen the first two. Great work and amazingly expressive patches. Were they only embroidered? I felt the urge to draw them, especially the 754th SQN .

I’ve only ever seen embroidered versions. The 755th is quite a tight, obviously machined patch. The examples of the 754th I’ve come across are much looser, and could be hand embroidered. I think there is a thread on the 754th patch on the US Military Forum.