• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patches for my "humpjacket" project

Flightengineer

In the last month there were few flights and a lot of time at home.
I made these two patches on leather for my new project - plan to turn my old AVI A2 into a hump pilot jacket.
This patches were drawn by me under the impression of the photos of the hump pilot's jackets from the book American Flight Jackets, Airmen & Aircraft.

The size of the ATC patch is 5 inches, the shoulder patch of CBI is 3 inches tall (my thanks to @ties70 and to @wittmann for theit help with clarification and information about CBI patch correct size and proportions).

Otter

The very one. I remember reading somewhere that the dashes round the top edge are supposed to spell out something in Morse code.

Flightengineer

Thanks for the kind words, Burt.
Next week I hope to give jacket to my seamstress to sew this patches .
After something else will need to be done and then I'll show result.

Flightengineer

The very one. I remember reading somewhere that the dashes round the top edge are supposed to spell out something in Morse code.
Yes, red-white -blue marking represent Morse code dits and dush and reads as ACFC - Air Corps Ferrying Command (May 1941 - May 1942), AFFO - Air Forces Ferrying Command ( to June 1942), AFATC - Air Forces Air Transport Command (to July 1945).
On my patch is AFATC cause I wanted to reproduce period 1943-44

Flightengineer

Awesome work, did you just use a standard leather paint ?

Thank you.

Yes, as usually I used acrylic paints for fabric and leather, bit old look and aging with wash for scale models (thanks Thomas for this idea, I used just paint for this before).

9ad645725815.jpg

This is Pebeo Setacolor paints.

Last edited: