• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

patch pocket stitching unraveling

Edward

both patch pockets have disappearing stitching in the same area. tried to figure out what is rubbing against this area other than my own arms... the car seat belts don't hit this area so not sure why the threads are breaking up here.... (ELC Star - 2 years old.) not sure what to do to keep this from getting worse.

IMG_3683.JPG
IMG_3684.JPG
IMG_3685.JPG

Edward

found the post
Cotton thread?
started by johnwayne, Oct 4, 2018.

kind of answers my question but not sure I want to go through all of that right now. might just hit it with superglue on both ends of the broken stitch for the time being to stop it from unraveling. good idea or no?

Edward

Not putting anything in the pocket may help as well.
well thats just lame! :p I have a thin wallet in it. not something I would think would be detrimental to the stitching that should hold a leather pocket. just seems like the thread isn't as strong as it should be. :( I can see this happening after 20 years but not in less than two. weird.

Steve27752

well thats just lame! :p I have a thin wallet in it. not something I would think would be detrimental to the stitching that should hold a leather pocket. just seems like the thread isn't as strong as it should be. :( I can see this happening after 20 years but not in less than two. weird.
Contact ELC.

dmar836

I had an ELC Star that did that too. I figured it was due to the PO doing a “timeworn” treatment on it that weakened the stitching.
Dave

Silver Surfer

interesting that its both pockets at the same place. mysterioso. easy fix. open the liner seam on both the left and right sides some 2" above and below the undone stiching. just enough to get your paw in there, and using matching thread [ hopefully in weight and color], hand stitch using the original stitch holes, starting from the inside. go past a coupla intact stitches top and bottom. then do in the opposite direction so that it matches the original stitch line.the other pocket will be easier, as you have gotten the hang of it.....sorta. its a little like work, but easier then ya think.

Edward

interesting that its both pockets at the same place. mysterioso. easy fix. open the liner seam on both the left and right sides some 2" above and below the undone stiching. just enough to get your paw in there, and using matching thread [ hopefully in weight and color], hand stitch using the original stitch holes, starting from the inside. go past a coupla intact stitches top and bottom. then do in the opposite direction so that it matches the original stitch line.the other pocket will be easier, as you have gotten the hang of it.....sorta. its a little like work, but easier then ya think.
DON'T USE GLUE
understood. no glue.
Thanks Silver Surfer... sounds like something I can handle on a weekend when I get the time. cool access trick!

Ken at Aero Leather

Looks to me more like the tension on the machine wasn't closing enough/properly after the foot was adjusted going round the pocket contour/corners. Walking foot machines are notorious for this.
Probably wouldn't show up in QC as the clues would be inside the lining but, if I'm right, the machinist should have "felt" it.
If you are going inside the lining look out for any (other?) looped back stitching and sort any you see at the same time ............in the manner silver surfer suggests

Edward

Looks to me more like the tension on the machine wasn't closing enough/properly after the foot was adjusted going round the pocket contour/corners. Walking foot machines are notorious for this.
Probably wouldn't show up in QC as the clues would be inside the lining but, if I'm right, the machinist should have "felt" it.
If you are going inside the lining look out for any (other?) looped back stitching and sort any you see at the same time ............in the manner silver surfer suggests
Will do. in the meantime I'll just envision that a cute girl, early in her career, worked hard on mine so I'll just forgive her.... this time. :p

742982.jpg

Silver Surfer

ps, when closing the liner, dont tug too hard on the thread or you will bunch up the seams. follow the stitch lines. the resewing is kinda goofy as you are working the sewing in reverse. after a try or two, you will see what and how it is done.