• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paratrooper gloves

Happy Hooligan

I've started my search for a pair of well made horsehide paratrooper gloves. I like the cut of them and I think they would be very handy to own for work and driving. Most I see though are cowhide. Anyone have experience with the horsehide ones and who all is making and selling them?

Silver Surfer

basically para-flying gloves are the same as roper gloves, which are available all over the place. most of which sell for well under $40. these roper gloves are usually made of moo or horse, and are unlined same as the para-flying gloves. no you will not get the elc bona fide, or even an aaf stamp on them, but for all intents and purposes they are just about the same as those offered by mil sites, and repro makers.

Happy Hooligan

so has anyone bought a pair from Mash or Eastman? Looking at the sizing of the Mash I'd need to get a size up to fit the fingers more than the width?

Gio80

I only want horsehide, not cow or deer.

Years ago, me too I wanted horsehide gloves only.
I took from SM Wholesale, they are horsehide made and they have original WWII era buckles, but at the and I did not like them at all. I did not like how they fold when I wore them, the three stitched lines on top of gloves are too flat. I did not like their impression.

Last year I went for the SOF, because I had the opportunity of seeing, trying and touching them from a guy who had them.
Yes they are not horsehide, they have not original buckels and of corse are not hight quality as ELC, but I like as they fit and folds, they are very handy to drive and work, are good for daily wear and give you a nice cuff lapel. And if they were to be damaged for using, you have not lost much money.

Mash and ELC are top repro but judging from pics, and if you don't care to have buckles, I would choice ELC.

Last edited:

Happy Hooligan

I wound up getting the SM Wholesale. My first pair though the thumbs didn't match in length and were weird feeling on the hand so I asked for another pair. I did eventually get the second pair and it had the same issue, but I was able to mix/match the two pairs to have a pair that fit fine. I'm not sure where they're made but they do have issues in matching patterns. Overall though I love them. The fit, the feel the and break in are just what I was looking for. I wear them so much I'm afraid I'm going to need more pairs as I'll wear them out soon.

Gio80

I knew that SMW gloves where made in Mexico, but I don't know if they still make them over there. I am glad hearing you like them. Their leather is good quality, but they are a bit poorly trim, that's why those issues, I think. Same problem of SOF gloves I have. ELC look to be more cared on trim.

I have slim and small hands, so, not good for SMW gloves, they don't make small size, that's why I did not like how they get aged.
I think the perfect fit is important to give the right break in of the leather.

Do you have the 1st or 2nd pattern? I saw they started making 2nd pattern as well.

Last edited:

Wholenineyards

I knew that SMW gloves where made in Mexico, but I don't know if they still make them over there. I am glad hearing you like them. Their leather is good quality, but they are a bit poorly trim, that's why those issues, I think. Same problem of SOF gloves I have. ELC look to be more cared on trim.

I have slim and small hands, so, not good for SMW gloves, they don't make small size, that's why I did not like how they get aged.
I think the perfect fit is important to give the right break in of the leather.

Do you have the 1st or 2nd pattern? I saw they started making 2nd pattern as well.
I unfortunately do not at all like my pair of SMW, sorry to say. Feel and haptic aside, they smell, badly chemically. Just went up the attic where I have put them at least a year ago. The smell still stings. Chemical. Might be the batch I've unfortunately have come across and I am glad there are other and more positive experiences. Gio, here, I just took some pix of the ELC flight gloves you requested. Pretty comfy. Hope it helps.
20200523_201720.jpg

20200523_195524.jpg

20200523_195537.jpg

20200523_201801.jpg

20200523_201901.jpg

Well, I guess you know where you'll find them. https://www.eastmanleather.com/1942-pattern-eastman-usaaf-flying-summer-p-137.html

Gio80

I unfortunately do not at all like my pair of SMW, sorry to say. Feel and haptic aside, they smell, badly chemically. Just went up the attic where I have put them at least a year ago. The smell still stings. Chemical. Might be the batch I've unfortunately have come across and I am glad there are other and more positive experiences. Gio, here, I just took some pix of the ELC flight gloves you requested. Pretty comfy. Hope it helps.

Well, I guess you know where you'll find them. https://www.eastmanleather.com/1942-pattern-eastman-usaaf-flying-summer-p-137.html

Thanks for the detailed pics. As I said to Greg on his post, just from the photos trim and leather look so good. I would be glad to touch and see how they fit. Just the color looks a bit low of yellow. Isn't it?

For SMW gloves, I don't know if it's due to the batch, but same happened to me. Left them at least one year, a bit mor,e inside a box and the bag that was in the box too, took that nagging smell as well.