• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting on Sheepskin

Hello ... I wonder if someone could advise re painting/drawing on sheepskin ... I've seen a vintage coat with a few drawings on it and would like to try this (better!) myself but am not sure what to use ... the drawings might have been done with felt-tips. Thoughts? TIA!
received_443387306844193.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hello ... I wonder if someone could advise re painting/drawing on sheepskin ... I've seen a vintage coat with a few drawings on it and would like to try this (better!) myself but am not sure what to use ... the drawings might have been done with felt-tips. Thoughts? TIA!View attachment 65997
Hi Welcome to VLJ
We have a couple of members here who are outstanding artists and can answer many of your questions . Since we are an international forum you’ll need to give them some time to respond due to the time differences .
Cheers

Really - deglaze then dye then paint?! I'm not sure that's what happened on the jacket here ... I might be keen, but honestly, I'm not *that* keen ... thanks for the advice tho!

Hello,

Quite a challenge to do. First you need to clean it up with deglazer product and first, dye the whole jacket, and then only, apply an artwork.

VeraVoulik

Really - deglaze then dye then paint?! I'm not sure that's what happened on the jacket here ... I might be keen, but honestly, I'm not *that* keen ... thanks for the advice tho!

Would like to know what you actually want to do, but if you want to start fresh on this jacket and make something clean, there is no other way. Of course, you can paint direct on these flowers if you want to do it cheap.

Thanks - It's not this jacket I'm wanting to work on, it's just an example of one I've seen and would like to try myself (tho like I said, something a tad better ;)

Would like to know what you actually want to do, but if you want to start fresh on this jacket and make something clean, there is no other way. Of course, you can paint direct on these flowers if you want to do it cheap.

VeraVoulik

Thanks - It's not this jacket I'm wanting to work on, it's just an example of one I've seen and would like to try myself (tho like I said, something a tad better ;)

Ok, sorry, I've not understood first ;) To paint on sheepskin, if the jacket is quite old, i'd use a saddle soap first and then, to paint, you can use "Angelus" brand painting, very good for leather and skins.