• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting name question

johnwayne

I'm still smarting over the comment about Englishmen having bad teeth! Where's that cosmetic dentists number? Whatever you do try not to end up with something looking like a 'vintage' Avirex!!

Whatsit

What does a “vintage” Avirex look like in your opinion? I did this to my 80’s cooper. I also have an early 80’s Avirex which in my opinion is night and day compared to my cooper. My cooper looks like a members only jacket compared to the Avirex.

johnwayne

There's still plenty that turn up on eBay but I make light of the fact as IMO Avirex is not vintage by a long way! The artwork on them always looked like and probably were some sort of decal/transfer and I've never checked but wonder if any were copies of real jackets rather than what I've always thought looked made up, the Glenn Miller artwork springs to mind.
Have you any of the various flight jacket books like Art of the Flight jacket by McGuire and Conway? They contain stacks of images you could refer to but again only my opinion but keep it simple, there's some beautiful creations, sometimes just a name for instance, easier to do too!!

Whatsit

Did you see my finished art of porky? I thought it turned out ok for a first try anyways.
My Avirex doesn’t have anything on it and according to some others on here mine is a good one before Avirex started mass production on them and adding the side packets etc. oh well. We can’t all afford to spend $1000 plus on Eastman jackets. In my opinion I really like my Avirex

Attachments

• 0928DAEE-674E-4F84-8CAC-FA181775AF09.jpeg
    0928DAEE-674E-4F84-8CAC-FA181775AF09.jpeg
    712.6 KB · Views: 172

johnwayne

You are right Whatsit, I appreciate top maker jackets are beyond what many can afford and well done on your first attempt on the Cooper plus as long as you're happy with your jackets that's the main thing plus, painting a more pricey jacket would devalue it! My comment re Avirex is that they get described as 'vintage' which they clearly are not and to some less knowledgeable out there, they might get fooled into paying over the top for cheaper, less authentic repro.

A2 B3au

Did you see my finished art of porky? I thought it turned out ok for a first try anyways.
My Avirex doesn’t have anything on it and according to some others on here mine is a good one before Avirex started mass production on them and adding the side packets etc. oh well. We can’t all afford to spend $1000 plus on Eastman jackets. In my opinion I really like my Avirex
Nothing wrong with that at all