• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting a shoulder roundel straight onto the sleeve

jeremiah

Grant. Love the look of that paint.
Here you can see my NOS decal that I put on my ELC monarch a year ago. The sheen comes from it being a decal where the paint sheen will eventually mellow out.
C8863CC7-4D58-4BB5-AE0A-0F07169A5B2A.jpeg

Flightengineer

Once I painted 8AF emblem on my old A-2 ( directly on shoulder) used one original photo WW2 to made copy. I wanted it to look initially old and repeat the leather wrinkles in this place. This was achieved by choosing the consistency of the paint. I used special acrylic paints for the cloth and leather, you can choose the right shade, also one of the advantages is that this paint retains elasticity and does not crumble after.

1c575ec97556.jpg

ausreenactor

If you are putting other paint on the jacket I would always paint the roundel. I have only ever had an Aero Jerky Horsehide in a seal finish with the AAF roundel. Never contemplated one since. Not sure why?

P-47 thunderbolt

I eventually got round to doing it!!
In the end I just went free hand, I wanted it to act as leather jacket art but use the dimensions of a roundel so that it can act as both early war period and late. Also I didn't really want the 'Army Air Force' underneath.
I didn't want it to look too fresh either so I applied only a light base layer of blue to give it a head start in the aging process as I want it to blend in with the liberty horsehide of my BK 27752 as I know it will age quick.
Acrylic paints with the aid of a 360 compass, I'm so pleased with the way it looks and it was a real joy to do.
P1080321.JPG
P1080322.JPG
P1080323.JPG
P1080326.JPG
P1080327.JPG
P1080328.JPG
P1080329.JPG
P1080336.JPG
P1080337.JPG
P1080337.JPG
P1080337.JPG
P1080344.JPG

ausreenactor

I eventually got round to doing it!!
In the end I just went free hand, I wanted it to act as leather jacket art but use the dimensions of a roundel so that it can act as both early war period and late. Also I didn't really want the 'Army Air Force' underneath.
I didn't want it to look too fresh either so I applied only a light base layer of blue to give it a head start in the aging process as I want it to blend in with the liberty horsehide of my BK 27752 as I know it will age quick.
Acrylic paints with the aid of a 360 compass, I'm so pleased with the way it looks and it was a real joy to do.View attachment 64808View attachment 64809View attachment 64810View attachment 64811View attachment 64812View attachment 64813View attachment 64814View attachment 64815View attachment 64816View attachment 64816View attachment 64816View attachment 64817
Done well, Sir!

jerome35

Nice job. It worth, first, paint your round in white, like a primer. Your blue would be brighter and stronger.

If you need some other tips, feel free to contact Vera, pity she didn't see your post before.

Micawber

Looking good! Just like jacket jacket manufacture and fit there were many variables when it came to theatre applied artwork, some was obviously done by highly capable individuals while others less so. Go with whatever materials and style suits you.

P-47 thunderbolt

Thanks everyone, to be honest I'm looking forward to it fading back so it's a bit more subtle, maybe I'll update in the future, see how it holds up

Silver Surfer

Very nicely handled. Timing. The answer to an old polish joke. oop, some polish guys here? Ok, I’ll tell it slowly. As this thread has been evolving, I’ve been working on an 8th stubby wing shoulder paint on. The last day or so, I spent some time looking at pix of originals, and have decided to do the 8 and wings in a more orange yellow. The orange yellow color seems to have been used often, before chrome yellow was kinda standardized. Oh, this is being done on my elc monarch.