• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PAINTED EASTMAN MONARCH

VeraVoulik

Wonderful jacket! True art job! The yellow tone suits this leather to perfection. This original photo was on my files since a long time.

The enamels with lead won't chip if you scratch the leather surface before painting. Easy to do for a 'big' artjob but a true pain when it comes to missions bombs. Most of original jackets with well preserved arts were made this way. On all which chip i've seen , leather was not properly prepared. But here, I'm sure your paint won't chip before years ;)

Grant

Vera, I actually want the paint to chip off with wear and tear. Just my opinion, but I don't care for artwork painted on with acrylic paints that doesn't age and fade with the jacket. Just my preference!

VeraVoulik

Vera, I actually want the paint to chip off with wear and tear. Just my opinion, but I don't care for artwork painted on with acrylic paints that doesn't age and fade with the jacket. Just my preference!

You're perfectly right, enamels are better for this kind of art.

Tattoo A2

Just a quick question, I'm also an artist my whole life, and new to this forum, but out of curiosity do they even sell lead based paint anymore with all the environmental issues out there today, I would love to paint some squadron patches with them instead of the acrylics I have used in the past, by the way , love this site, Ive been reading old articles and posts everyday since I'm on here.

VeraVoulik

Just a quick question, I'm also an artist my whole life, and new to this forum, but out of curiosity do they even sell lead based paint anymore with all the environmental issues out there today, I would love to paint some squadron patches with them instead of the acrylics I have used in the past, by the way , love this site, Ive been reading old articles and posts everyday since I'm on here.

I never seen 'lead' paint for sale in EU as lead paint are now forbidden due to saturnism illnesses but it may exists elsewhere (Lead paint for personnal use forbidden in the US in 1978, Lead sulfate in paint seem to be forbidden since 1993 here). You can find substitute to lead in some enamel paints nowadays but it wont have the same effect. Lead was only added to dry the paint faster so you can use standard enamel.

Tattoo A2

I never seen 'lead' paint for sale in EU as lead paint are now forbidden due to saturnism illnesses but it may exists elsewhere (Lead paint for personnal use forbidden in the US in 1978, Lead sulfate in paint seem to be forbidden since 1993 here). You can find substitute to lead in some enamel paints nowadays but it wont have the same effect. Lead was only added to dry the paint faster so you can use standard enamel.
I didnt think you could get it anymore, thanks for your insight and research.

bseal

Love it, absolutely love it, but just make mine… premium unleaded.
;)

42C58ABD-F5BA-4EC6-B715-D16CD814F337.jpeg
A3DED5E9-EDE0-4DF9-95D8-13F6EA663E87.jpeg

Last edited: