• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PAINTED A2-GOING CHEAP

Andrew

I'm wondering how successfully this paint could be removed- that is if you accept that the art on both of these are recent (and I do- there's just too much evidence pointing to a little copy shop at work with a copy of AoTFL No.01 sitting on the workbench). This is otherwise a very nice jacket.

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
Tranquility Base said:
Roughwear said:
Simon, I have to take issue with you here. The jacket I have bought is not a fake, but an original United Sheeplined jacket. The art work is the fake.

Sure, but the artwork makes it a fake. I don't think the jacket I purchased is worth what I paid for it.

I see what you mean, Simon. You maybe right about the jacket you purchased, but I think this one was a good deal for a "fake"! :lol:

It's a really interesting debate. I'm a perturbed about these two jackets. On the one-hand they represent what seems like a good deal but on the other they represent something really shitty. For now, I'm thinking they're sort of worthless. The equivalent of having a great A-2 and sticking a really hideous jimmybean modern repro chit or patch on it.

Roughwear

Leadsky said:
I'm wondering how successfully this paint could be removed- that is if you accept that the art on both of these are recent (and I do- there's just too much evidence pointing to a little copy shop at work with a copy of AoTFL No.01 sitting on the workbench). This is otherwise a very nice jacket.

I actually like the design and would not remove it. I have a plain United Sheep in a size 42 which I wear a lot so I would not remove the paint to make it a regular wearer! Simon a jacket is worth what people will pay for it! :)

shanghai joe

hmmmmmm.... somehow this discussion reminds me of those high end replicated watches with solid looking shells but inside mechanisms sourced elsewhere............

shanghai joe

Roughwear said:
Leadsky said:

I actually like the design and would not remove it. I have a plain United Sheep in a size 42 which I wear a lot so I would not remove the paint to make it a regular wearer! Simon a jacket is worth what people will pay for it! :)

you pays your moneys you buys your jackets........or NOT :lol:

whatever trips your trigger, trigga!

shanghai joe

Roughwear said:
Tranquility Base said:
Roughwear said:
Simon, I have to take issue with you here. The jacket I have bought is not a fake, but an original United Sheeplined jacket. The art work is the fake.

Sure, but the artwork makes it a fake. I don't think the jacket I purchased is worth what I paid for it.

I see what you mean, Simon. You maybe right about the jacket you purchased, but I think this one was a good deal for a partial "fake"! :lol:

interesting..............partial mona lisas

Andrew

Roughwear said:
Leadsky said:

I actually like the design and would not remove it. I have a plain United Sheep in a size 42 which I wear a lot so I would not remove the paint to make it a regular wearer!

Andrew I like the design too, (just not fussed with this particular version) and if it were rigiydig you probably wouldn't wear it at all. Your wife's going to be happy with you wearing it? :eek:

Here's the one from AoTFJ for those who don't have it. Interesting they didn't bother to change the serial no. on the one in question. Also note the orig has leather rank tabs.

Untitled-6.jpg

shanghai joe

Leadsky said:
Roughwear said:
Leadsky said:

I actually like the design and would not remove it. I have a plain United Sheep in a size 42 which I wear a lot so I would not remove the paint to make it a regular wearer!

Andrew I like the design too, (just not fussed with this particular version) and if it were rigiydig you probably wouldn't wear it at all. Your wife's going to be happy with you wearing it? :eek:

Here's the one from AoTFJ for those who don't have it. Interesting they didn't bother to change the serial no. on the one in question. Also note the orig has leather rank tabs.

Untitled-6.jpg

thanks andrew! I for one will sleep well tonite..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

taikonaut

shanghai joe said:
taikonaut said:
shanghai joe said:
that and bearing in mind where it's coming from..........

Swindlers comes from all corners of the globe, some of the worst ones I dealt with came from USA.

my roots are South East asia, Penang, south of Thailand.

roots as in Alex Haley, Kunta Kinte

terrain as in knowing your terrain.....the art of war, TSUN TZU

I suspect the seller is a westerner not a Thai. Out of interest why is your name "Shanghai Joe", surely that is China not Thailand or S/E Asia.

taikonaut

I want to raise some interesting question for collectors and wearers.
If a jacket is original but missing the manufacturer's label and dont have any insignia or anything else that identify the vet, would you consider it objectionable to have artwork painted and other personalise insignia added?

shanghai joe

terrain as in knowing your terrain.....the art of war, TSUN TZU[/quote]

I suspect the seller is a westerner not a Thai. Out of interest why is your name "Shanghai Joe", surely that is China not Thailand or S/E Asia.[/quote]

let's go back to kunta kinte, roots.

ethinically I'm Chinese, albeit three generations removed from the motherland. the motherland is CHINA.

I was born in Penang, an island, part of Malaysia.

Penang is an island off neighbouring Thailand.

Malaysia is part of South-East Asia.

By the way I've adopted the UK as my home since 1984.

19 questions left................. :D

shanghai joe

taikonaut said:
I want to raise some interesting question for collectors and wearers.
If a jacket is original but missing the manufacturer's label and dont have any insignia or anything else that identify the vet, would you consider it objectionable to have artwork painted and other personalise insignia added?

depends on who owns the jkt..........the owner shall deem fit to do whatever he wants with it, after all it's his to do with...........my tuppence.

of course that doesn't prevent others from forming their opinion..........

Andrew

taikonaut said:
would you consider it objectionable to have artwork painted and other personalise insignia added?

I would. It would also decrease it's value I suspect.

shanghai joe

I suspect the seller is a westerner not a Thai. Out of interest why is your name "Shanghai Joe", surely that is China not Thailand or S/E Asia.[/quote]

could be right....many expats in Thailand........could be right the pidgin/broken english to make sales pitch authentic...........

taikonaut

Leadsky said:
taikonaut said:
would you consider it objectionable to have artwork painted and other personalise insignia added?

I would. It would also decrease it's value I suspect.

Personally in situation like that I wouldnt object to it as long as the artwork is of a high standard. If it is done by a well known artist I should think it should increase the value but that is my own opinion.

taikonaut

shanghai joe said:

terrain as in knowing your terrain.....the art of war, TSUN TZU

let's go back to kunta kinte, roots.

ethinically I'm Chinese, albeit three generations removed from the motherland. the motherland is CHINA.

I was born in Penang, an island, part of Malaysia.

Penang is an island off neighbouring Thailand.

Malaysia is part of South-East Asia.

By the way I've adopted the UK as my home since 1984.

19 questions left................. :D[/quote]

I was born in HK New Territory which is actually on the Mainland China not HK island which was lease to Britain for 99 years. As it goes HK island was ceded to Britain after the Opium War and Thatcher initially refuse to handover that part but China demanded complete handover and paid huge amount of cash plus military/economic threat. I have lived in the UK for over 30 years but have gone back to HK, not notice any changes. My grandfather on my father's side was from Shanghai, successful businessman but lost it all during the Japanese invasion. Grandfather on my mother's side probably from Guangzhou was a carpenter but taken into custody by Japanese soldiers prior to a bombing/invasion by the Japs. I wonder if he was a victim of Japanese reprisal after the Doolittle Raid as it was so close to that time? He appear to have been singled out. Anyway I suppose you can say I am not so fond of the Japanese.
Sorry for being off topic.