• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pacing like an expectant father

tgd31968

But I am glad I am waiting for the stork to bring my new B-3 rather than a kid. B-3's are way cheaper, even Eastman or RM.

I got an e-mail from Mark at Aero leather stating that he had shipped my new russet b-3 made from B-6 weight sheep today. Should be here Tuesday.

Too bad I won't be. I will be out of town and won't get to see it until LATE thursday. Waited since end of June, and now it will arrive without me. SH#T. Guess I better be nice to my girlfriend. She will have it for two days before I get home, and there are scissors in the house....

Terry

A

Anonymous

jacketimp said:
Peter Graham said:
Beware. Flight jackets and women don't mix. Never divulge how much it cost !

so waht's your choice..........on a desert island :evil:

Depends which one has the softest, cosiest fur I suppose. :lol:

Remember,
Women marry men hoping that they'll change and ending up disappointed when they don't.
Men marry women hoping that they won't change and disappointed when they do !!
Eastman never change and never disappoint. Make mine a B-3 Redskin

Dave

zoomer

Peter Graham said:
Flight jackets and women don't mix.
<ahem> Mr Graham? The WASPs would like a word.
kamps1.jpg

tgd31968

So I finally got my jacket today. I am wearing it as I write this. The russet skin is magnificent, the fit is perfect, sleeves came out the right length. The b-6 weight skin will be perfect for winter here. Not too hot.

BUT, and why does there always have to be a but with an $800 jacket? As I was sitting here admireing it, I noticed a small tear in the outer layer of the jacket near the cuff, parallel to the sleeve seam. I will try to attach a pic, but for some reason I can't get the damn photobucket thing to attach correctly. I follow the directions as far as I can tell and it wont work. So I will try again, and if I cannot do it, perhaps take a look at the pics and comment. Is this something to be really concerned about? My fix would be to have a small rectangle of horse hide sewn over it on both sleeves to match. I do not want to have a new jacket made, or have the thing torn apart for a fix. A little reinforcement of horse over it would work fine for me.

Should I be concerned about it tearing more or is this just the first of many character marks?
tear-1.jpg

b-3%20pics

Terry

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tgd31968 said:
Is this something to be really concerned about? My fix would be to have a small rectangle of horse hide sewn over it on both sleeves to match. I do not want to have a new jacket made, or have the thing torn apart for a fix. A little reinforcement of horse over it would work fine for me.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh27 ... tear-1.jpg

Much as it's a big pain, I think you need to return it for a proper repair. It has to go back anyway .... a patch may not work out long term, and will devalue the jacket.

tgd31968

I don't want to seem like I am asking for advice then arguing with you. In my case, value has nothing to do with it. I don't horse trade jackets, so it will be mine for life.

If there is a mechanical reason a patch won't work, that is a different thing.

What really concerns me is that any "proper fix" would mean at least a new sleeve, and try to get the grain and color to match. The fit is so nice, and the color so good, I just don't want to screw it up.

Also, keep in mind that the picture makes it look longer than it is. A patch to cover all would be about 15 mm long by 8-10 mm wide.

deeb7 said:
tgd31968 said:
Is this something to be really concerned about? My fix would be to have a small rectangle of horse hide sewn over it on both sleeves to match. I do not want to have a new jacket made, or have the thing torn apart for a fix. A little reinforcement of horse over it would work fine for me.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh27 ... tear-1.jpg

Much as it's a big pain, I think you need to return it for a proper repair. It has to go back anyway .... a patch may not work out long term, and will devalue the jacket.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tgd31968 said:
If there is a mechanical reason a patch won't work, that is a different thing.
Also, keep in mind that the picture makes it look longer than it is. A patch to cover all would be about 15 mm long by 8-10 mm wide.

The patch would work, but there is a weakness, or thinning of the sheepskin where it's torn. I would worry that it might eventually tear again alongside the patch.

Anyway, Aero will advise .....

Vcruiser

Horse trading? IF it were mine....I'd definately show it to Aero...and then take their advice. The jacket is not right from the maker. They certainly should be able to make it right...and match it perfectly...plus pay for round trip shipping since it's their mistake. If they can match an old original..then they can sure match a new one. The new jacket should have no mistakes at that price. Aero has always treated me right with no hassle.
Van

T-Bolt

I agree with Van'a comments. Send it back so it can be repaired properly or as I would demand......replaced. Manufacures need to be held to a high level of quality when you are dealing with VERY expensive goods such as top end flight jackets.

Making them responsible for their products helps all consumers.

Ted

tgd31968

So in spite of the issues, here is a shot of the jacket. Color is very close in this pic. Sorry, none of me wearing it yet. I am home alone right now, and the cats can't use the camera.

back.jpg

tgd31968

What I mean by horse trading is I don't buy and sell jackets. Some like to aquire and sell jackets regularly, but I am buying only something I am planning to keep. So my point was future value is not that important to me. Quality and durability are.

Now, regarding the issues with this jacket, I agree. I already contacted Mark, and he has asked for some more clarification which I am in the process of photographing. He said he will send the pics to the factory for an answer Monday. Can't ask for more than that at this point.
I
posted the original pics to find out if this was normal for sheepskin or not. I never owned a new one. My only other b-3 is 60 + years old and understandibly has some cracks. If the cracking of the surface layer is normal, then I didn't want to whine about it. If it is not, then I know I need to make Aero correct things. After I found the first, I started to examine the jacket, and found several other areas. One on the back is 13 mm long, and opens to 1.5 mm wide when I press from the inside of the jacket. To be clear, the cracks are in the top, dark brown layer, and are not tears through the jacket.
I will keep you posted. It is too bad, because it is gorgeous, in my opinion.

Terry

Vcruiser said:
Horse trading? IF it were mine....I'd definately show it to Aero...and then take their advice. The jacket is not right from the maker. They certainly should be able to make it right...and match it perfectly...plus pay for round trip shipping since it's their mistake. If they can match an old original..then they can sure match a new one. The new jacket should have no mistakes at that price. Aero has always treated me right with no hassle.
Van

Baron Kurtz

It cannot possibly be "normal" that there is cracking/splitting/tears in the sheepskin of a brand new jacket. This is unacceptable.

You'd perhaps (probably; i certainly do!) excuse it fo a jacket that was 60-70 years old, but not a new one.

send it back to be fixed.

bk

better duck

first of all: this jacket shouldn't have come through quality control! a brand new 800 Dollar jacket should be perfect to start with.
That said: sending it back can be a pain.
A patch could work, even, especially if you intend to keep it and wear the hell out of it, help give it a used, battle scarred look.
Here are some pics of my old and trusted ELC house B3, that I had to patch up.
I tore it within a week of receiving it on a bike carrier I was fixing to the car: Ouch, that hurt.
IMG_1457.jpg

The second one came a couple of years later, when a very thin part of the skin tore open an inch or so on something, I know not what.
IMG_1459.jpg

All in all, I think it doesn't look half bad, isn't too noticeable and helps give the jacket an "in theater look".
BTW: in both cases I used a couple of sample pieces of leather ELC had sent me.

John Lever

You must send the jacket back. If you delay for an extended time then Aero may become suspicious why you waited so long. I can't see any reason why they will not carry out a full repair for free or make you another jacket.
Aero would expect you to return it.

jacketimp

JACKET_ HEAD said:
jacketimp said:
Peter Graham said:
Beware. Flight jackets and women don't mix. Never divulge how much it cost !

so waht's your choice..........on a desert island :evil:

Depends which one has the softest, cosiest fur I suppose. :lol:

Remember,
Women marry men hoping that they'll change and ending up disappointed when they don't.
Men marry women hoping that they won't change and disappointed when they do !!
Eastman never change and never disappoint. Make mine a B-3 Redskin

Dave

ok so eat your jacket on desert island.........

tgd31968

John Lever said:
You must send the jacket back. If you delay for an extended time then Aero may become suspicious why you waited so long. I can't see any reason why they will not carry out a full repair for free or make you another jacket.
Aero would expect you to return it.

As I said, I received it Friday morning, and Friday afternoon I e-mailed Mark. I sent him Pics, and he has forwarded them to the factory for review tomorrow morning. I don't think contacting Aero 4 hours after receipt is too extended. Mark already said he suspects they will make me a new one, so we will see tomorrow, but if so, I cannot ask for more. Now, if the next one comes in with the same problem, that will be another story.
I am not angry about it, just disappointed at the moment. If the second one has a problem, then I will be angry.

One advantage about a remake is that the only thing about this jacket I would change is it seems to have a lot of excess material around the stomach. The chest is just right, but the gussets under the arms seem a bit too wide, so with the side buckles pulled tight the bottom is right but it makes it look bulky where my love handles would be because the gussets are folded up at least 2" on each side. It gives it a reverse tapered look with the chest being right and then getting wider as you go down my side, then narrowing up again where the buckles pull it tight again. You can kinda see the excess material in the side picture below.

If they do a remake, I am going to ask Mark if they can narrow the gussets an inch on each side to remove some of the folded material.

Even though the fate is uncertain at this point, below are some pics. The jacket was made with a b-6 weight skin, and it seems more than thick enough. It is about the same thickness as my original which has 60 years of being crushed down, but I still don't think it was ever as thick as the modern repros 1".

Terry
meinjacket.jpg

DSCF1930.jpg

Peter Graham

Don't be scared to show your face mate. We're a friendly bunch here. What do you think's going to happen ? Or are you embarassed because of your trousers ? :) Only joking.