• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Owning originals .. the good , the bad , and the ugly .

B-Man2

Hi inspired by b-man2 post here's my rescue project as a nylon man obviously nylon
Funny how you come by jackets sometimes
This jacket was rescued from the bin of a local charity shop
A friend of my daughter knows I like jackets and was doing a shift at the charity shop and this came in

It was black with engine oil and Red rust stains had extensive black mold
Covered in large car related patches
the smell is hard to explain I think the last owner died in it

She said she would take it and gave it to me
It turns out to be an early m-a1 1961 skyline c contact the first with orange liner

I first took it to be drycleaned but they refused so I read up some of the old posts here and found you could wash these if you are careful
With a mixture of shampoo wool lite and hair conditioner and lemon juice for rust stains and fresh air drying
my tool kit
View attachment 51206
Now after major surgery hand washing
I have got to this View attachment 51207View attachment 51208View attachment 51209View attachment 51210View attachment 51211
Bazzer.. Looks like one hell of a save...great job!
Would you happen to have any before photos?

bazzer

No sorry after dry cleaner refused wife found out call it a tramps coat and refused to let it in the house
So it was a bit of a clandestine operation from that point on
Baz

Last edited:

Centaurus3200

Interesting timing for me to read this thread. After having my thrift store found star sportswear A-2 sitting under my bed for like 1.5 years, I was started thinking "what good is it sitting under there? It's still just a jacket. enjoy it!"

Which does not mean I'm going to be reckless with it. I tried an inconspicuous area to test a little Bick 4 conditioner. Probably like the most non-invasive leather conditioner out there. They swear it will not change the color.

Long story short, the color did not change. I did a super light coat over the jacket. Looks exactly the same. Just a little more sheen to it. Reason for doing conditioning is there's no denying the leather is stiff. Not horrible, but enough that I couldn't wear it without concern.

I entertained doing another light coat as it soaked up the bick 4 in a minute. But decided not to get greedy.

Next up is to see about advanced european tailoring in Berkeley darning the 19 or so moth holes. Zoltan is suppose to be very skilled in repairing vintage leathers. He's local, hence my intrigue.

The damn thing just looks too bad ass not to wear. Just once or twice a year at most. I found the thing under a mountain of crappy clothes at a goodwill outlet. It's battled worse.

Last edited:

mulceber

Interesting timing for me to read this thread. After having my thrift store found star sportswear A-2 sitting under my bed for like 1.5 years, I was started thinking "what good is it sitting under there? It's still just a jacket. enjoy it!"

Which does not mean I'm going to be reckless with it. I tried an inconspicuous area to test a little Bick 4 conditioner. Probably like the most non-invasive leather conditioner out there. They swear it will not change the color.

Long story short, the color did not change. I did a super light coat over the jacket. Looks exactly the same. Just a little more sheen to it. Reason for doing conditioning is there's no denying the leather is stiff. Not horrible, but enough that I couldn't wear it without concern.

I entertained doing another light coat as it soaked up the bick 4 in a minute. But decided not to get greedy.

Next up is to see about advanced european tailoring in Berkeley darning the 19 or so moth holes. Zoltan is suppose to be very skilled in repairing vintage leathers. He's local, hence my intrigue.

The damn thing just looks too bad ass not to wear. Just once or twice a year at most. I found the thing under a mountain of crappy clothes at a goodwill outlet. It's battled worse.

Sound thinking. You have a lovely original that managed to make it through WW2 and the ensuing decades largely untouched. It would be a shame for it to while away the next few decades sitting under a bed. Enjoy it and care for it. :)

Centaurus3200

Thank you!

Now the question is "where to wear it?" you know, without being so overly paranoid that it gets in the way of me enjoying my day.

It's funny, i don't think twice about wearing my 1964 C series G1. And the A2 is only 22 years younger.

One thing's for sure... The zipper works great, but I'm not gonna zip it and test my luck!

Sound thinking. You have a lovely original that managed to make it through WW2 and the ensuing decades largely untouched. It would be a shame for it to while away the next few decades sitting under a bed. Enjoy it and care for it. :)

newagegeezer

I've just come across this thread whilst looking for the "what are you wearing today " one which seems to have finished on page 544,perhaps that is limit for a thread ?.

I've owned a few original leather jackets over the years from the time before repros were being made. My Dubow A2 , which I stupidly sold back in the '90s was one of the most comfortable I owned (I find M442 and G1s the best for comfort whilst riding or driving due to the swing back) and was like new.

Anyway, the point of my reply is with regard to teh red rot query, I think the couple of photos I'm attaching will show the problem - it's when the surface wears away revealing the sort of suede underneath (anyway, that's my interpretation of it, I may be wrong).

This is a Bronco that had been found in an attic in teh '70s , the knits and end of sleeves had been nibbled away by mice, so repaired , probably not that well but it was back in teh '70s. The saving grace of this jacket is the paint. I’ve never tried to put any conditioner of any kind on it as worried about the paint and what the red areas would look like afterwards – I’d be interested on advice on that from you who have studied leather in detail as it seems from so many posts on the subject.

N.B. It was only on a hanger for the photos, one must always store them flat.
A2sleeves.jpg

Attachments

• bduckbacldet1.jpg
    bduckbacldet1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 155
  • A2frontpatch.jpg
    A2frontpatch.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 143

Chandler

Been collecting them over the years . I wear a 46 so I sought them out . If you ever want to own an original 46 let me know as I plan to sell a few off.
How about a trade for one of John's original prototype jackets? ;)

Silver Surfer

well geez control, you have a problem. that goat Spiewak [I think its a spiewak] is riddled with the a-2 jacket killing red rot. if it is a Spiewak, ya might be interested to know that red rot seems to endemic to Spiewaks, as nearly all of them have it. shitty tanning and or sub standard hides would be my guess. obviously the jacket is by no means wearable, however as a collectors example, it is worth stabilizing the rot. there are guys on this forum who have, or still work as museum conservators, and they can recommend the stuff to use to that the hides. handle it gently, as it looks like some of the areas will turn to dust if ya sneeze on them. damn shame, cause the art work and chest patch are outstanding.