• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Owning originals .. the good , the bad , and the ugly .

Micawber

well geez control, you have a problem. that goat Spiewak [I think its a spiewak] is riddled with the a-2 jacket killing red rot. if it is a Spiewak, ya might be interested to know that red rot seems to endemic to Spiewaks, as nearly all of them have it. shitty tanning and or sub standard hides would be my guess. obviously the jacket is by no means wearable, however as a collectors example, it is worth stabilizing the rot. there are guys on this forum who have, or still work as museum conservators, and they can recommend the stuff to use to that the hides. handle it gently, as it looks like some of the areas will turn to dust if ya sneeze on them. damn shame, cause the art work and chest patch are outstanding.

Yep, the jacket is a display piece only now. A quick click of the link I posted will take you to the very product - Klucel G - available mixed or in powder form. To order Google is your chum.

Thomas Koehle

Stunning collection of yours Burt!

Yeah - was again late to read this thread but better late than never ...

So far i did never ever own an original - always thought they are simply not available in my size (46) but with your photos you proof they are out there. Well since i'm a "wearer" or "user" or how to say for me it does not make sense to own originals just to store them somewhere out of fear they could be damaged. I see the value in collecting originals and preserve them sotosay as prrof or specimen of what was the reality.

Like i just seen a thread the other day we might more and more getting in to a "reproduction forum" rather than a "vintage jacket forum" there is these pros and cons.

On one hand side i'm open to spend a lot of bucks for a new hh jacket from AERO - on the other side i would hesitate to spend the same amount for a original A2 even in my size. For me it is about "use-ability" (does this word even exist in english) - that AERO jacket can be used daily - an original A2 would rather sit in my closet never been worn just to be preserved.

Once again: impressive collection of original pieces - even more impressive in which splendid condition the jackets are

B-Man2

Stunning collection of yours Burt!

Yeah - was again late to read this thread but better late than never ...

So far i did never ever own an original - always thought they are simply not available in my size (46) but with your photos you proof they are out there. Well since i'm a "wearer" or "user" or how to say for me it does not make sense to own originals just to store them somewhere out of fear they could be damaged. I see the value in collecting originals and preserve them sotosay as prrof or specimen of what was the reality.

Like i just seen a thread the other day we might more and more getting in to a "reproduction forum" rather than a "vintage jacket forum" there is these pros and cons.

On one hand side i'm open to spend a lot of bucks for a new hh jacket from AERO - on the other side i would hesitate to spend the same amount for a original A2 even in my size. For me it is about "use-ability" (does this word even exist in english) - that AERO jacket can be used daily - an original A2 would rather sit in my closet never been worn just to be preserved.

Once again: impressive collection of original pieces - even more impressive in which splendid condition the jackets are
Thomas
Thank you for those kind words.
One of the reasons that I decided to write this post, was to give everyone an opinion and let them decide if owning original WWII A2 jackets was for them. I got into collecting originals a number of years ago and I had a completely different mindset than I do now. At this point, I no longer view them as a jacket or an article of clothing, but as an 80 year old historical artifact of a time and period that has gone and will never return. Something to be preserved and passed down to other individuals with a similar mindsets. There are plenty of repro's available that will look quite good and that 99% of the population will never know what it is that you're wearing. Just my opinion

Thomas Koehle

Totally got your point Burt!

Thx for “unfolding” your point of view and sharing your collection.

I know a jacket manufactured 80 years ago - been through at least one large scale conflict (WW2) and some timea even 2 (Korea) ain’t no longer to be considered as a piece of garment.

These jackets are unique and simply not replaceable in case they get lost or damaged.

Thomas

newagegeezer

Yep, the jacket is a display piece only now. A quick click of the link I posted will take you to the very product - Klucel G - available mixed or in powder form. To order Google is your chum.
Thanks, Steve, will ask my partner if she knows about that stuff (she may have some), she's a textile conservator of more than 30 years experience but do you think i can get her to look at my jackets ? she once grudgingly repaired some moth holes but her museum stuff takes up all her time (it's the old story of the cobbler's kids holey shoes). She usually works on items over 200 years old and has done a lot of items for teh National Army Museum including Wellington's cloak from Waterloo, WW1 uniforms and one of Lawrence of Arabia's cloaks, and lots of other Napoleonic era helmets etc, so 80 year old stuff is not top of her agenda (mine anyway, if I could afford her hourly rate, then maybe...).
But actually that jacket (btw Mr Surfer, it's a Bronco) is much more sturdy than it looks, I'd still wear it if I still went to any WW2 reunion "dos" , dances etc , but i haven't done that since about 1994 in Normandy on teh 50th Dday reunion tour. I bought the jackets to wear on the jeep ,albeit occasionally, and am not a "displayer" and of course they were not as expensive back then. as others have said it's a pity to keep them stored away.
cheers, everyone

bazzer

Hi need a bit of help with a jacket acquired from the states
It's it an 1970s alpha industries L-2b J contract
It came with a pilots name and Captains rank
There was a early sixties flight suit with same name but was second lieutenant
Need help to try and find who the pilot was and his unit
As you can see it Has later velcro for name tag unit and command patches
The problem is the name
Captain G N Patton
Just who the search engines bring up
have tried the seller but no joy