• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ostermann M-422a

STEVE S.

A few pics of the new Ostermann M-422a. You don’t realize just how many details on the Ostermann make it unique compared to the other manufacturers that produced the M-422a.

17A78688-C4C0-4425-843E-D1B7AA593FFE.jpeg
387898E5-1DE9-4B17-8019-EB0CB90B740F.jpeg
3E77900C-3B3F-43C6-AE17-B6E8CE4C5C26.jpeg
8E9D196D-7EFF-480E-8EE5-FDAC26CE21DD.jpeg
788A99B5-972D-4748-A606-1B94B9B56FD5.jpeg
3A59EF1F-5D2A-495E-BE08-C9CC9FB918E7.jpeg
E7B39047-5B1E-4DE7-B4BB-F0CFF666A7CD.jpeg
F02D00CA-8303-418E-A8FA-0F19CF613B42.jpeg
531B652D-9B76-4B22-A927-D7B4712438E8.jpeg

B-Man2

Steve
Please forgive my ignorance, are you independent of Headwind or part of Headwind with Jay, or subcontract to Headwind? From your last post where you quoted your price to me I’m kinda confusedo_O

Skyhawk

Looks great Steve. That hide looks fantastic!

To B-Man2:
Steve sells his jackets on the Headwind site. We work together on the sales and listings for his jackets but he is his own entity. He doesn't make the other jackets for Headwind.

Steve has the M-422a, AN-J-3, Luftwaffe, and some Moto jackets on the site.

Skip

The FO is one of my favourite contracts for m422a’s. with its unique features it’s a sharp looking jacket and quite individual from the other makers. Some people don’t like it but those underarm gussets are one feature that are unique

B-Man2

Thanks to both of you guys for explaining the sales end of it . Much appreciated,
Cheers B-man2

Skyhawk

He just completed the jacket today. It's a really cool contract that I don't think has ever been reproduced before. We will get it online ASAP.

Pilot

A few pics of the new Ostermann M-422a. You don’t realize just how many details on the Ostermann make it unique compared to the other manufacturers that produced the M-422a.

View attachment 8911
View attachment 8912
View attachment 8913
View attachment 8914
View attachment 8915
View attachment 8916
View attachment 8917
View attachment 8918
View attachment 8919
Nice jacket...
Maybe me or the photo, I cannot see the neck hanger...if there was one on the Ostermann M422a.Thx for sharing.

B-Man2

That’s outstanding .
I’m amazed at the skill and talent some of the people have on this forum.

STEVE S.

Nice jacket...
Maybe me or the photo, I cannot see the neck hanger...if there was one on the Ostermann M422a.Thx for sharing.

Good eye! We have been swamped with rain here this summer, so when the sky cleared for a few mins yesterday, I seized the opportunity to grab a few pics outside before it started raining again & hadn’t installed the hanger yet. Weather report goes out to the 18th & 60% chance of rain is the best it shows. Didn’t know I was moving to the rainforest!

Skip

Some of the unique features to F.O's, at least on my Original when I had it, and I've only really seen one, listed below. interesting to see if Steve's is different in any way but it looks spot on to me from his build so far. I'm pretty sure their would be a stitching differences between makers as well:

pointed collar with black USN stencil (my mouton was a dark russet colour, but think it had been replaced - but originals can fade to this colour)
can remember the zip, pretty sure it was a talon
beveled pocket flaps
unusual gusset construction (not sure how you would describe it) but there is more of a distinct flange where it joins to body and sleeve
plain waistband, i.e. no rib rack design
double tack stitching to the waist belt
tan? stitching
from memory, mine had an original rayon liner that was a faded crimson in colour

STEVE S.

Some of the unique features to F.O's, at least on my Original when I had it, and I've only really seen one, listed below. interesting to see if Steve's is different in any way but it looks spot on to me from his build so far. I'm pretty sure their would be a stitching differences between makers as well:

pointed collar with black USN stencil (my mouton was a dark russet colour, but think it had been replaced - but originals can fade to this colour)
can remember the zip, pretty sure it was a talon
beveled pocket flaps
unusual gusset construction (not sure how you would describe it) but there is more of a distinct flange where it joins to body and sleeve
plain waistband, i.e. no rib rack design
double tack stitching to the waist belt
tan? stitching
from memory, mine had an original rayon liner that was a faded crimson in colour

If you look thru the above pics at the one of the collar up, throat hasp side, you can see where the Ostermann gets its unique collar shape. For some reason, the collar pattern is not straight/ flat across the outer edge, there is a slight dip tapered into it which gives it the pointy ends. USN stencil was also smaller then the other manufacturers.
The weird seam on the gusset is on the sleeve side only, the body side has the standard folded over top stitch. The weird stitch on the sleeve side is actually doubled over & topstitched like a windflap edge. Curious why they did it this way.

A couple other distinct features are the map pocket snaps were plated metal, not painted.
The windflap is actually a completely separate piece sewn in with the zipper.

I also found another small unique detail that I have never seen/ heard mentioned before & that is how the rayon liner was sewn to the leather inner pieces. All the other manufacturers sewed the rayon to the leather, then the leather was folded & top stitched giving the rayon the appearance of being under the leather. Ostermann sewed the rayon on leaving the leather flat but folding the rayon over & topstitching placing the rayon on top.

W&G, G&F, Block & Church where rayon meets leather.
2DE51791-93E2-4DC3-B20A-0F94E7868FA0.jpeg

Ostermann
EE1B7AA2-9D44-4314-B680-FE5C417ED169.jpeg

Skip

Thanks Steve for filling in the gaps in my memory and knowledge, great stuff. Thats interesting on the lining. I must admit when I first saw those gusset/sleeve stitching I initially thought that someone had stuffed up a repair job! How would you say the fit is compared to other contracts in a similar size? I had a 40 and it was quite trim but long at 27 in sleeve and body which suited me to a tee

Silver Surfer

yeah, i wondered about the sleeve to body stitching. the makers of fo jackets , navy and aaf as well, were on their own design path.