• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Wartime Aero Leather of Scotland A2, $3,995

2BM2K

Browsing and came across this modern Aero reproduction being passed off as a wartime jacket.

ONSV1535__08_large.jpg

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...kin-mama-named-hand-painted-a-2-flight-jacket

Stony

It will be interesting to see what IMA says when they find out. They probably won't change anything.

Ken at Aero Leather

The art work would have been done in the late 1980s by Tim Rhodes of Carlisle. Great artist must have done close to a hundred backs for Aero. The jacket would have been made by Christine or myself
The spec, incl the internal stamping would have done to order for whoever ordered the jacket, proably someone in Japan. I know it's ours by the font
There is a watercolour done by Tim hanging in my studio depicting every car I'd owned between the mid 60s and the late 80s
At the risk of going off topic (as is often the case)I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. Some real rarities amongst them along with a couple of real bangers.

Ken at Aero Leather

As I see it the vendor knows he's got a repro

Exhibit One.

The text listing the info on the label omits the Contract Number, he doesn't try to do a "Goldsmith" with the number, rather kicks it into the long grass
TYPE A-2
DRAWING No30-1415
AERO LEATHER CO
PROPERTY
AIR FORCE U.S. ARMY

Exhibit Two

The Price. A kosher original PPM would make at least double the asking price. So many folk selling pieces with dodgy provenance go far too cheap for the piece to be original.

Now if he'd removed the label, bust the zipper so it "lost" the 70s Talon clues and upped the price even by $1000, he MIGHT just have got away with it........not necessarily on here of course

As it is it is no more convincing than Hitler's Diaries were.....

" Eva and I went down to the shops today, she was trying to take my mind off zee var"

Taken from the copy in The Thrift Shop window (circa 1983) on the day the story broke

Reactions: daw

Ken at Aero Leather

Would the label also have Beacon NY on it if it were original .

BIP

Yes, and the font would have been very different. Back in the 80's we weren't concerned with such nicities
We didn't add "Beacon NY" until the late 90's and then reluctantly and led by a huge demand from our customers. I still feel it's misleading.

BTW The burgers, or is it the buggers, in The EU wrote to us over 20 years ago telling us we couldn't put "Made In Scotland" in our jackets
We (as politely as we could) offered them the chance to go and replicate.............haven't heard a word since

Ken at Aero Leather

May be you could post some of the thrift shop photos while your at it , I may of asked this before .

BIP

I'm aware of the omission. They are still in the factory, I'll be down soon and I will get them scanned, I promise
Most of the photos we had are in a new Japanese book "Love Aero Bible" https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/15731048/
We will have some copies for sale through the Aero Website any day but the price is fairly eyewatering but the quality of the book is astounding.
Some others will be Issue 3 of The Aero Style Review magazine, currently being put together, scheduled for release in March

Tony Ward

Very shady if they do indeed know and trying to skirt the issue. Embarrassing if they actually believe original

I was researching Joseph Morris earlier when I saw the jacket. No records to confirm he ever crewed on the pistol packin mama on top of this. 390th website has him listed in the 570th squad. but thats the extent of it

Ken at Aero Leather

Let's make this interesting..............first person to ID every car above wins a Free Aero Enamel Mug (ideal for coffee in the garage) posted free wherever
PM answers only please, don't want to clog up the thread

johnwayne

Depends how picky you might be with the several of the same type ie the Mini's! Surely Ken that last bottom right is not a Mini Metro? Given the others I can't imagine you'd fess up to owning one of those?? A Consul Classic too, what was you thinking when the Capri Mk1 was an option! Otherwise the boy did good with most but which do you wish you still had?

Ken at Aero Leather

Depends how picky you might be with the several of the same type ie the Mini's! Surely Ken that last bottom right is not a Mini Metro? Given the others I can't imagine you'd fess up to owning one of those?? A Consul Classic too, what was you thinking when the Capri Mk1 was an option! Otherwise the boy did good with most but which do you wish you still had?
Bottom right, Sunbeam Alpine or Rapier ?

Ford Classic was bought when we started The Thrift Shop, that's when the E Type had to go
The embarrassing car ( bottom right) was bought when we were starting Aero, Top row, 2nd from lef had to be sacrificed to fund that business

Both periods of low on cash but high on ideas.

Model (Minis apart) would help in the case of a tie breaker, there are several real rarities in the group, bottom right apart :oops: which was the worst car I ever owned

Smithy

Top Row: MGB, MGC GT, Mk 2 Mini Cooper, Probably a Mk IV Jag of some description

Next Row: Austin Healey 3000, Mk I Mini Cooper, MGB, MG Sprite, Mk 3 Mini Cooper

Next Row: Mk 1 Mini, Mk 2 Jag, MGA, Austin Healey 3000

Next Row: Series I E-type, Mk I Morris Mini, probably a Bentley VI with coachbuilt exterior, Mk 2 Jag

Next Row: Series I Land Rover, Ford Consul, Mk 2 Jag, Mini Cooper, Mk 2 Jag

Botton Row: Don't know but looks like some Ferrari, Aston Martin DB5, Aston Martin V8, Porsche 356, Mk 3 Mini, Renault Fuego

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Top Row: MGB, MGC GT, Mk 2 Mini Cooper, Probably a Mk IV Jag of some description

Next Row: Austin Healey 3000, Mk I Mini Cooper, MGB, MG Sprite, Mk 3 Mini Cooper

Next Row: Mk 1 Mini, Jag S type, MGA, Austin Healey 3000

Next Row: Series I E-type, Mk I Morris Mini, probably a Bentley R type or VI with coachbuilt exterior, Mk 2 Jag

Next Row: Series II Land Rover, Triumph Vitesse, Mk 2 Jag, Mini Cooper, Mk 2 Jag

Botton Row: Don't know but looks like some Ferrari, Aston Martin DB5 or DB6, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Porsche 356, Mk 3 Mini, Renault Fuego

Errors in bold

Clue to the bottom right, it held the 1600 lap record at Brands Hatch when I bought it

Smithy

I've made a couple of edits but I'll have to have a think about the top right and the "Ferrari" one as I have to take the nippers out tobogganing.