• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL SWITLIK PARACHUTE AND EQUIPMENT COMPANY M-422

Maverickson

Hi All,

It brings me great pleasure to present my now restored size 40 Switlik Parachute And Equipment Co. M-422. This jacket was a basket case when received back in October of 2018. Since receiving I've been busy sourcing all the needed parts and diligently working towards bringing this jacket back to it's former glory.

According to my research at the National Archives in Washington D.C this jacket is one of 247 jackets that were delivered to the USN. That order was comprised of three separate deliveries directly sent to N.A.S Pensacola. All made during the first quarter of 1941. Notwithstanding, all prior to my research (which proves beyond a doubt it's authenticity) this jacket went unrecognized and in fact was seldom if ever listed as a credible USN contract.

In addition, I have subsequently found that not just the Switlik but all per War USN jackets were in fact stitched 100% using silk.

My Switlik jacket is now a permanent reference and model for any and all of my future reproductions using this same pattern.

SWITLIK M-422 .jpg

SWITLIK M-422 REVERSE.jpg

SWITLIK OPENED.jpg

Collar And Label .jpg

The Switlik stencil is quite unique. My stencil maker recons that it was a 100% factory concoction with no continuity to the spacing.
Switlik USN Stencil.jpg

All the original stitch holes were perfectly aligned both front and back.

SWITLIK COLLAR INTERFACING.jpg

Again, the original stitch holes were followed and aligned front and back.

Switlik Right Collar.jpg

You are looking at Switlik's unique map pocket. Please also note that the zipper's original track was also followed.
SWITLIK MAP POCKET.jpg

In doing the restoration I completely disassembled this jacket down to it's individual panels. The hide was in fact found to be vegetable tanned. Before restitched using 100% silk thread throughout as per original I patterned it complete. Thereby eliminating any guess work for my future reproductions.

This restoration work was done by me as an max effort. I spent untold man hours diminishing ghost stitches from previous repairs. Then reused the original stitch work so as to minimize any extra holes.

Now and through my good work this jacket is as close to original as I can possibly get it. To maintain authenticity I sourced every thing needed to make this jacket correct to the make and model. The zip is the correct model blackened brass M-39 Talon. The knits were replaced using knits that I had made to duplicate those used by the factory. In keeping with the vintage look I faded a dark brown mouton for 6 months. The lining on the body of the jacket I sourced is as close as I can get and a dead ringer to the same original brown colored rayon as seen on the inside of the pockets.

Unfortunately, the label is in fact a reproduction. As the previous owner kept it's original label. However, I had a reproduction label made that duplicates the original label's exact dimensions and nomenclature as seen on that original Switlik label.

In doing this restoration what strikes me the most and not unlike all the jackets I've restored, this Switlik jacket's design is full of idiosyncrasies and there are almost to many to list. Notwithstanding it was built using completely individualized factory construction techniques. Moreover, every single individual panel differs from all others I've seen to date or are completely unique to this particular maker. Few of which could ever be correctly ascertained simply from a photo.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Grant

Wow Dave, what a masterpiece.
We've all been following the progress of this restoration, so really nice to see it completed.
Thanks for sharing to work along the way and here's to enjoying may years of wearing this beauty.

Now I'm jonzing for one of your reproductions of this early USN jacket.

Maverickson

Hi All,

As an addition to my personal collection I recently came up with another (size 36) Switlik Parachute And Equipment Co M-422. As far as I am aware, the third such Switlik jacket that has come available since 2007.

This jacket is IDed to a VP-135/VPB-135 member. It is combat worn. Besides the jacket I also received the original owners USN Invoice receipt (dated July of 1941) for receiving the jacket from the USN, multiple pix of him wearing the jacket while on Attu, his side arm (.38 Victory revolver) & survival knife.

As seen with my size 40.
Pair Of Switlik Jackets jpg.jpg

The size 36 (as seen to the left) remains 100% original and unaltered less having had the original owner's squadron patch attached and his USNR winged ID removed.

The jacket's missing winged USNR ID tag now remains interred with the original owner.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Hi All,

As another addition to my personal collection I recently came up with another (size 36) Switlik Parachute And Equipment Co M-422. As far as I am aware, the third such Switlik jacket that has come available since 2007.

This jacket is IDed to a VP-135/VPB-135 member. It is combat worn. Besides the jacket I also received the original owners USN Invoice receipt (dated July of 1941) for receiving the jacket from the USN, multiple pix of him wearing the jacket while on Attu, his side arm (.38 Victory revolver) & survival knife.

As seen with my size 40.
View attachment 61448

The size 36 (as seen to the left) remains 100% original and unaltered less having had the original owner's squadron patch attached and his USNR winged ID removed.

The jacket's missing winged USNR ID tag now remains interred with the original owner.

Cheers, Dave
Can you get/fit a fresh one made with the same details?

MaydayWei

Is it my imagination, or is the 36 the same length as the 40?
Seems that way from the pictures.
Still, 2 incredibly rare jackets from a extremely rare contract.
Damn fine indeed; thanks for sharing!

Maverickson

Is it my imagination, or is the 36 the same length as the 40?
Seems that way from the pictures.
Still, 2 incredibly rare jackets from a extremely rare contract.
Damn fine indeed; thanks for sharing!

No, They are not the same length. At the back the size 36 is 25 1/4" . While the size 40 is 25 3/4" and both probably shrunk no less than 1/4" if not more.

Cheers, Dave

Maverickson

Can you get/fit a fresh one made with the same details?

When I restored the size 40 and since it was a basket case as received, I took that jacket down to its individual pieces. Basically, before reassembling I did a detailed study on all of it's panels. It does not get much better than that.

Since the size 40 had been altered this latest size 36 helped me fill in the blanks. Moreover, there were a few very important details that had gone missing from the size 40. With the help of the size 36 I now believe that currently I now have the most accurate rendition available.

So far, I have been actively reproducing this jacket for over a year https://www.ebay.com/itm/401984571084 .

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Chandler

So Dave, is this going to be a new service you're offering? Because I have this original AN-J-3a that's in dire need if a good refurbish. ;)