• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Star Sportswear A-2 size 48

saucerfiend

Her'e a few wearing pics of the original Star Sportswear A-2, size 48 I won on ebay last week. Incredibly beautiful shape. I'll post close-ups and detail shots later tonight. This is a true 48 as can be seen. A bit oversized on me

Brian

P1010016-1.jpg

P1010015-4.jpg

P1010013-5.jpg

P1010010-5.jpg

P1010009-6.jpg

767fo

It looks great and in amazing condition:) you can hit the buffet a few times and not sweat the fit. Enjoy and congrats :D

ButteMT61

Awesome Brian. Have to ask though - you're a 46, and this is a vintage 48. I'm surprised that it's that large. Honestly, I think it would fit me :)
Pretty darn nice. Congrat's.
PS - nice 'stache!

saucerfiend

ButteMT61 said:
Awesome Brian. Have to ask though - you're a 46, and this is a vintage 48. I'm surprised that it's that large. Honestly, I think it would fit me :)
Pretty darn nice. Congrat's.
PS - nice 'stache!

Thanks, Brother. Yea, I thought it would be a close fit, but man, this is a genuine 48! Probably fit you perfectly. Alas... you know the deal.

Brian

ButteMT61

That's freakin' craZy new! Wow. You guys are sure it's not a repro? I only ask because the condition is incredible. You scored - big time! :shock:

derleicaman

I agree with Scott. With the first few pics I was thinking repro, can't be a real original. But the detail pics sold me. Looks real, too many details to fake. Amazing! I would call this NOS (new old stock). Surprised it looks so roomy on you, even for a vintage 48. I bet this one was never issued and sat in storage all these years. Or it was never worn, at least not on a daily basis. There must have been only a tiny few airmen who were a 48 back in those days. Must have been a desk jockey officer type.
You did well! :D

Rutger

Wow, talk about time machine. Was this big a size still an off-the-shelf item back then?

saucerfiend

Rutger said:
Wow, talk about time machine. Was this big a size still an off-the-shelf item back then?

Yes, I know that for a fact. My Uncle who was in the Airforce during WW2, {God, rest his soul}, told me his was a 48 provided for him with no special attention. I remember him telling me the body fit him perfectly, but the sleeve and both length was a bit long, as he was 5' 7". Don't know what contract it was though.

Brian

Clark J

Wow so much for the thinking war time sizing run small!!That fits like my Eastman sz 46!Just wear a big sweater.I wonder if it is miss marked??

ButteMT61

Clark J said:
Wow so much for the thinking war time sizing run small!!That fits like my Eastman sz 46!Just wear a big sweater.I wonder if it is miss marked??

Maybe Brian shrunk? :lol:

saucerfiend

Clark J said:
I think this might be the first time someone here has got a dream jacket that was to big!!

I never said I got my "dream jacket". All I said was, I finally got my original A-2. But I will say, I was hoping it would fit better. Hey, maybe someone has an original contract in a 46 that in the same shape as mine they'd like to trade.
And BTW Scott, I didn't shrink. But I did say in one post it would fit you perfectly.

Brian

ButteMT61

saucerfiend said:
Clark J said:
I think this might be the first time someone here has got a dream jacket that was to big!!

I never said I got my "dream jacket". All I said was, I finally got my original A-2. But I will say, I was hoping it would fit better. Hey, maybe someone has an original contract in a 46 that in the same shape as mine they'd like to trade.
And BTW Scott, I didn't shrink. But I did say in one post it would fit you perfectly.

Brian

Could be. I don't have $2100 though ;)

Clark J

I was speaking in a general term,,,,and I think about 99% of us guys who do wear bigger sizes would would say this is a dream jacket.

saucerfiend

Clark J said:
I was speaking in a general term,,,,and I think about 99% of us guys who do wear bigger sizes would would say this is a dream jacket.

I wear a 46. If you have one in comparable shape, maybe we can talk.

Brian

unclegrumpy

saucerfiend said:
I wear a 46. If you have one in comparable shape, maybe we can talk.
A truly large size 48 is worth considerably more than a size 46. I'd just take the $2K offer, and start shopping again. That way when you find your dream size 46 you will feel more comfortable stepping up for it, because you will be spending some big guy's money not yours.

I think if you just ring the register on this one now, someday soon you will be wearing an equally nice "free" jacket that fits you.