• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Size 48 G&F M-422a

Maverickson

Hi,

The collar is all original. I did some detailed pix of the collar in the listing.

As seen here

Back Of Collar.jpg

You are looking at the original factory stitch work. That tells me that its nicely faded mouton is original to the jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

A size 40 and 42 M-422a should be relatively easy enough to come by. That is as compared to a size 48.

Please see a WW-2 USN spec on the M-422 model flight jacket with regards to the ratio per size to be built for a given contract.

AN Size Data.jpg

Note that exactly one out of a hundred jackets were made in a size 48. On the other hand the lions share of jackets were made in 38, 40 & 42 sizes.

By comparison any WW-2 era M-422a jacket in size 48 are like hens teeth. Not to mention even harder to find in such remarkable condition as this one I am now offering.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Tattoo A2

This may be a dumb question since Im not as educated with the Navy jackets....But did they run like A2 jackets as where a 1940s M422a in a size 48 is more like a modern 46. I know an original A2 has to be a size 48 to fit me, yet I wear a modern 46.

Maverickson

This may be a dumb question since Im not as educated with the Navy jackets....But did they run like A2 jackets as where a 1940s M422a in a size 48 is more like a modern 46. I know an original A2 has to be a size 48 to fit me, yet I wear a modern 46.

Maybe in part but not always. As the required dimensions for a given size was specified but in fact those particular specifications were not that well regulated by the USN. As the dimensions of my size 48 G&F M-422a falls somewhere in between what W&G would have used for one of their size 44 or 46 jackets.

While a size 48 W&G M-422 or M-422a would have had dimensions that are very close to a modern size 48. On the other hand a G&F in a size 48 was closer to a modern size 46.

I know this to be true for a several reasons. First because I have seen the original USN bid specs regarding the required dimensions for any given size for their WW-2 jackets. But foremost because I have personally handled every conceivable USN flight jacket size & make through my many years repair work and in particular collecting original USN flight jackets.

Likewise, I originally purchased that recently listed size 48 G&F M-422A some ten years ago. Mainly to proof their pattern for larger sized jackets and get better acquainted that particular make. Of all the M-422a model jacket makers I rank the G&F among the premier manufacturers.

I'm only now getting around to reproducing that particular make jacket.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited: