• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Roughwear - 'Eastman Swoop collar?'

Chandler

rotenhahn said:
Sorry- can't give in- won't on this one... :p

This one? :D

Sorry, we might have to get a ruling from a more neutral source on this one, but my vote is that you lose. That sucker has the fold over.

As to why would a repro maker "recreate" the effect, I think it's probably cause and effect more than recreation. The effect is caused now just as it was then.

Chandler

A

Anonymous

Chandler:
That sucker has the fold over.
Exactly! They all have the "fold over"! Not the graceful swoop- sorry you seem to be unable to SEE very well!
As to why would a repro maker "recreate" the effect, I think it's probably cause and effect more than recreation. The effect is caused now just as it was then.
Wrong! Especially in the case of Eastman collars- there are two reasons they look the way they do- poor observation on their part- they're too lazy to really figure out how the originals were made... and more likely this is one of their "corrections" which THEY think looks more pleasing to the eye! Get your eyes fixed- go back and look and voila!- you'll see what I'm talking about!

Chandler

:lol:

I have to admit, I do find it amusing that your "definitions" change to fit your gottedness.

The swoops have it!

Chandler

A

Anonymous

27752.jpg

The way I see it- I don't see it diving to a point in the front- rather it travels down at about 3/8" then goes in at approximately a 45 degree angle at the tip... NO SWOOP!

Swing

rotenhahn said:

I hope you're on some sort of medication of getting some kind of help, because you certainly have some sort of mental disorder, or you're a super caffinated salesman.

~Swing

269sqnhudson

rotenhahn said:
27752.jpg

The way I see it- I don't see it diving to a point in the front- rather it travels down at about 3/8" then goes in at approximately a 45 degree angle at the tip... NO SWOOP!

draw a nice white line following the right hand fold top to bottom.....oh sorry goalposts have moved!, it's just the short edge now is it? :lol:

A

Anonymous

Swing said:
rotenhahn said:

I hope you're on some sort of medication of getting some kind of help, because you certainly have some sort of mental disorder, or you're a super caffinated salesman.

~Swing
No- I'm just right that's all- kinda bugs you -eh? Nobody here even thought about the "internal structure" of the leather 'til ol' Rot brought it up a few months ago. No matter what you say or think Eastman's "internal structure" or SA as we now know it's called is WRONG! We won't even get into the WRONGNESS of using glue on the sleeve seams and pockets. Check back on the photos posted earlier in the thread- try to catch up- use your eyes!

Tariacuri

fishmeok said:
Tariacuri said:
NERD!!!!!!!!

How's that Albanian Tummy holding up there sport? Hork all over that nice new Doniger yet?

Ask Kiki who's the nerd....

Sorry everyone else, that was a liitle OT :D

Cheers
Mark

ON the CIPRO yo

14 days with no drinkie - maybe an occasional beer. Occupational hazard

Chandler

rotenhahn said:
Nobody here even thought about the "internal structure" of the leather 'til ol' Rot brought it up a few months ago.

Riiiight -- 'cause it don' mean diddly!! :lol:

SWOOP!

Chandler

A

Anonymous

Chandler said:
rotenhahn said:
Nobody here even thought about the "internal structure" of the leather 'til ol' Rot brought it up a few months ago.

Riiiight -- 'cause it don' mean diddly!! :lol:

SWOOP!

Chandler

Stick to your Eastmans then- you'll be happy. I can't settle...

Jake431

My experience with Eastmans personally is that, based on how successful they are, close enough seems like "it's the same as originals!" to some people. Not for me, and that is why I've still not purchased a repro A-2. As enraptured by minutae Rott is, he's not tilting at windmills here - the argument just breaks down along the lines of "I don't care" or "I do care". Obviously the hobby has room for all.

And hell, I haven't even sworn of Eastmans - I might pick up one of their B-15's yet.

-Jake

269sqnhudson

Jake431 said:
My experience with Eastmans personally is that, based on how successful they are, close enough seems like "it's the same as originals!" to some people. Not for me, and that is why I've still not purchased a repro A-2. As enraptured by minutae Rott is, he's not tilting at windmills here - the argument just breaks down along the lines of "I don't care" or "I do care". Obviously the hobby has room for all.

And hell, I haven't even sworn of Eastmans - I might pick up one of their B-15's yet.

-Jake

In this case regarding the pic of the original it'a more a case of 'the Swoop IS there' versus 'The swoop is NOT there'. I say it IS there and therefore eastman are NOT incorrect. Rott doesn't see it, I do, that's that I guess.

Chandler

rotenhahn said:
Stick to your Eastmans then- you'll be happy.

My flight jackets (repro or original, and not only ELC) are a mere fraction of what make me happy in this world. Might want to mull that over with your therapist. :D

Chandler

Jake431

If I thought the collar was the only problem eastman jackets had, I be fine. But they don't just look like originals to me.

Chandler

Jake431 said:
But they don't just look like originals to me.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion (there are a few GW finishes I'd argue over as well, but I'm not gonna build an attitude over it), and I like many of ELC's jackets -- such as this one: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=764 (note the original as comparison in the last pic).

OTOH -- With as many different images from the war that I've seen, there is so much variance with originals to say that the differences in repros could almost mirror the differences in original contracts (as well as the differences in fit and wearer shapes).

Chandler