• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original RoughWear A-2 - 27752 info

Pilot

Hi everybody
prior ordering another RW A-2 ..27752, just wanted to ask whether anyone here has such an original, just to learn how an original looks like, compared to the ( most accurate) repros available...
Google show a few, but maybe someone here has one.
Thx a lot.
Best...

Pilot

Easy to answer
1) seal model as original
2) the real stand up collar... Love stand up collars...
3) love RoughWear design, pockets especially.

Juanito

You may have seen the original that Andrew (Roughwear ) restored for me, which is highly likely to be from the 27752 contract. I am sure that Andrew has a pristine example in his collection.

Pilot

You may have seen the original that Andrew (Roughwear ) restored for me, which is highly likely to be from the 27752 contract. I am sure that Andrew has a pristine example in his collection.
Thx a lot.
Saw it... Great job...
Lucky owner!

Brettafett

Easy to answer
1) seal model as original 2) the real stand up collar... Love stand up collars... 3) love RoughWear design, pockets especially.
I only asked because your recent BK 27752 looked pretty good... but I know you were less than happy with it.
I have had about 3 ELC RW27752s, but they did not fit me right... Had a GW 27752 which was perfect, but was a size up... Wondering who you are looking at ordering it through.

Pilot

I only asked because your recent BK 27752 looked pretty good... but I know you were less than happy with it.
I have had about 3 ELC RW27752s, but they did not fit me right... Had a GW 27752 which was perfect, but was a size up... Wondering who you are looking at ordering it through.
Thx...
Good question...
Can only answer:
...Depending on the info and photos I will receive from here...
A FEW... options and alternatives available...
plus the second hand market...
... so far I believe GW....

Brettafett

Well, anything touched by John is usually 'gold'.... Looking forward to seeing what people say and show here. I also love the look of the 27752.

Pilot

After reviewing and re-reviewing Andrew´s photos...(again thx. to Andrew), one may notice that the pocket design of this RW contract are "elongated" downwards so in height...
In other words proportionally higher than wide...
So far, except the GW Repro of this RW 27752 contract, no other maker ever took this into consideration for its repro ( judging from what I have seen and handled...). Happy to be convinced otherwise.

Roughwear

I have seen other A-2s from this contract where the proportions are different on the pocket flap compared with the rest of the pocket. There was variation in the size of pockets used on A-2s within and across the five RW contracts/orders.

Brettafett

OK, this is another example of details only those slightly obsessed (in a good way ;) ) are really interested in.
I'm sure original makers in 1942/3 were just getting jackets out and not too concerned about crossing 'T's and dotting 'I's, so to speak.... that said...
I actually noticed this... and also compared some different pics of 27752s I have collected over the years and noticed a variation. Theres also a variation of the pocket shape and flap profile of RW1401s. For example, ELC's 1401, although copied from an original, is a bit different from many other original pics of RW1401 I have come across.
(Jimmy Stewart's RW1401 appears to have quite a square and sharp pocket profile compared to ELC's repro... GW's example is closer to this. I had an ELC and a GW 1401 to compare side by side a while back, they were indeed slightly different).
In fact, Andrew, you have an original 1401... Could you comment on ELC's current 1401's pocket and your original.
I know these are small details, and personally I am not that concerned about these details were repros are concerned, but I do find it interesting...
This pic promoting our friend BK's RW27752 is an interesting comparison to their original and one of their copies.
tumblr_oef1twksKz1t5hadvo1_1280.jpg

Brettafett

OK, thx, went for a GW 27752 anyway...( not from Greasebay)
IMHO, the best by all means...
Good choice Pilot. Do you have a long wait ;) or were you lucky enough to pick one up somewhere?
I will post a pic of my ‘old’ new GW 27752 later. It was fantastic, unfortunately just a size up and I let it go.

Pilot

Thx for sharing...
also on am pic... the pocket design is as per the GW pocket higher than wider... in contradiction to what I received from them...
Same as Andrew’s original, but different from what I received...

Pilot

Good choice Pilot. Do you have a long wait ;) or were you lucky enough to pick one up somewhere?
I will post a pic of my ‘old’ new GW 27752 later. It was fantastic, unfortunately just a size up and I let it go.
Thx.
its on the way to my Korea APO Address.
Should be incoming in the next few days.

Members online

Latest posts