• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL ROLEN SPORTSWEAR CO. TYPE MA-1 FLYING JACKET MIL-J-8279A (NORTH AMERICAN X-15 PROGRAM)

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

I have been out of town lately, but finally I'm able to share this interesting find. At first impression this would look like an early pattern MA-1 that somebody overpatched. And that most likely is what happened. But what makes this example unique is that is a survivor of the X-15 program.

The North American X-15 was a hypersonic rocket-powered aircraft that was part of the X-plane series of experimental aircrafts operated by the USAF and the NASA. In 1960, it set speed and altitude records, reaching the edge of outer space and returning with valuable data used in aircraft and spacecraft design. The X-15's highest speed, 4,520 miles per hour (7,274 km/h; 2,021 m/s), was achieved in October 1967, when William J. Knight flew at Mach 6.70 at an altitude of 102,100 feet (31,120 m), or 19.34 miles. This set the official world record for the highest speed ever recorded by a crewed, powered aircraft, which remains unbroken.

Needless to say, the X-15 made invaluable technological contributions to the American leadership in aerospace science and technology and in the operation of manned space flight. It clearly stands as one of the most successful research programs in the history of aviation.

The jacket itself is an early MA-1 from MIL-J-8279A, which was the second production model.

Unfortunately, in this case there is no info about the original owner besides his last name being McConell.

Left chest depicts the USAF blue tape and the extremely rare X-15 patch. According to my research, just a small number of these patches were produced in the early 60's. I have not seen other originals, besides the one shown on NASA's website and the picture of Major Ralph N. Richardson's jacket.

Right chest depicts McConell's blue name tape and the 36th Tactical Fighter Wing patch.

I have been evaluating the possibility of removing the other patches, perhaps in the future. Who knows, maybe they were actually sewn by the original owner after his service.

Hope you guys enjoy the it!

Regards,
Jorge
F8BE9230-B07F-4B5E-A426-BA9F60BDEE50.jpeg
D4CC8EF5-5FF2-4192-8713-8197431F51BA.jpeg
63B6D5E3-A4EC-47F5-85A5-FF091555AD72.jpeg
C2036507-4B6B-470C-BCD6-163020FE6B00.jpeg
7F0E4EDA-27BF-4ED1-B15B-E775B5C5C543.jpeg

B-Man2

Jorge
I just read the part about removing the patches. It’s none of my business but if I can offer an opinion, I think the jacket would be damaged by leaving all those stitch holes and depressions from the patches . I would just accept that they aren’t original to the jacket or the time period and leave it as a tribute jacket to MC Connell . But as the saying goes .
“ not my circus “, not my monkey”;)

ausreenactor

Gents,

I have been out of town lately, but finally I'm able to share this interesting find. At first impression this would look like an early pattern MA-1 that somebody overpatched. And that most likely is what happened. But what makes this example unique is that is a survivor of the X-15 program.

The North American X-15 was a hypersonic rocket-powered aircraft that was part of the X-plane series of experimental aircrafts operated by the USAF and the NASA. In 1960, it set speed and altitude records, reaching the edge of outer space and returning with valuable data used in aircraft and spacecraft design. The X-15's highest speed, 4,520 miles per hour (7,274 km/h; 2,021 m/s), was achieved in October 1967, when William J. Knight flew at Mach 6.70 at an altitude of 102,100 feet (31,120 m), or 19.34 miles. This set the official world record for the highest speed ever recorded by a crewed, powered aircraft, which remains unbroken.

Needless to say, the X-15 made invaluable technological contributions to the American leadership in aerospace science and technology and in the operation of manned space flight. It clearly stands as one of the most successful research programs in the history of aviation.

The jacket itself is an early MA-1 from MIL-J-8279A, which was the second production model.

Unfortunately, in this case there is no info about the original owner besides his last name being McConell.

Left chest depicts the USAF blue tape and the extremely rare X-15 patch. According to my research, just a small number of these patches were produced in the early 60's. I have not seen other originals, besides the one shown on NASA's website and the picture of Major Ralph N. Richardson's jacket.

Right chest depicts McConell's blue name tape and the 36th Tactical Fighter Wing patch.

I have been evaluating the possibility of removing the other patches, perhaps in the future. Who knows, maybe they were actually sewn by the original owner after his service.

Hope you guys enjoy the it!

Regards,
Jorge
View attachment 66834View attachment 66835View attachment 66836View attachment 66837View attachment 66838
Another cracker Jorge!

Enjoy the beach!

Dany McDonald

Wow what a witness of a defining programm this jacket is. I too love anything related to the X-programs, flight jackets are at the top.
I am blown away by the X-15 patch + Rolland MA-1 but I must admit that I am a bit put off by the fisherman patches, as a whole.

Mr McConell couldn't care less about my perception 45 years after he enjoyed it!

Thank you for sharing Jorge.

Dany