• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Patched Monarch A-2 Coming Soon

SuinBruin

It would be nice to see the vet reunited with his jacket. It would be nice to see the regular joe collector who has the jacket not have to eat a $1700 loss.

dmar836

Well, thanks Spitfireace for sharing your jacket. If we’ve learned anything from this, it’s that Stony had better not show his when it arrives!
I guess it’s as much my fault as anyone’s for the direction this thread took but this used to be a forum full of original jacket posts. It’s sort of a product of our culture and technology but I’d like to think that every jacket posted now won’t be tied to this type of debate.

Skyhawk

Well, thanks Spitfireace for sharing your jacket. If we’ve learned anything from this, it’s that Stony had better not show his when it arrives!
I guess it’s as much my fault as anyone’s for the direction this thread took but this used to be a forum full of original jacket posts. It’s sort of a product of our culture and technology but I’d like to think that every jacket posted now won’t be tied to this type of debate.

No way. It was just brought up in the post thus the discussion. Most jacket posts don't include a story of contacting the guy and him being upset and wanting it back.

I for one am still waiting to see the OP's jacket.

EmergencyIan

No. It's about thinking ahead. He wasn't thinking about how the vet was going to react, because this was very predictable. When he called him, it was about him in as far as wanting to get as much info about the jacket as he could. You should save the outrage for something that is outrageous. Our pushing back on how he interacted with one of our veterans doesn't put as out of line in the slightest. And, Spitfire didn't lose the jacket or any money, but he did make a poor decision.

For my part, all I kept repeating is: if you aren't prepared to give the jacket to the vet, don't make contact. It's simple.

On top of that, Spitfire opened the door to this discussion. None of us were looking for some sort of argument going into this thread. The situation was presented to us and we reacted. If you don't like a lot of the reaction, that's unfortunate.

- Ian

jeremiah

Ian I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with this one.

That said, I have made plenty of decisions that in hindsight I would have done differently. I probably will do more no doubt. Hopefully less than in the past.

dmar836

Unfortunate that I disagree? Guess I don’t feel that strongly. I too am just expressing an opinion here. I didn’t feel the contacting of the vet was so unusual even though it shows the potential negative outcome and isn’t something I have done. Interaction with vets is not at all uncommon on other forums like USMF. Bringing that indiscretion to light wasn’t my focus but I did read all the other comments and you did make your point clear and understandable.
I wasn’t debating that. My comments were based on the repeated sentiment that if money were potentially raised it would be great if the jacket were returned by the current owner as if that was automatically an option to impose on the current owner(no issue at all if it was Spitfireace’s idea to do that). I certainly didn't catch any connection to that as penance for him having contacted the vet. So I think this might be two different issues and a product of internet communication confusion. Since it’s not about me and I’m apparently being way too controversial(or offended and hence offensive) I’ll drop it.
Dave

B-Man2

I guess we all had an opinion on this one, but my sincere apologies go out to Stoney for going a little sideways on his thread. Please do show us your original Monarch once it arrives. I would love to see it.

Pilot

Agree, would be great to see the jacket.
My 1 cent question...can the vets family go to justice to have it back? If so, it may become a very dear jacket...for all involved.

EmergencyIan

Unfortunate that I disagree? Guess I don’t feel that strongly. I too am just expressing an opinion here. I didn’t feel the contacting of the vet was so unusual even though it shows the potential negative outcome and isn’t something I have done. Interaction with vets is not at all uncommon on other forums like USMF. Bringing that indiscretion to light wasn’t my focus but I did read all the other comments and you did make your point clear and understandable.
I wasn’t debating that. My comments were based on the repeated sentiment that if money were potentially raised it would be great if the jacket were returned by the current owner as if that was automatically an option to impose on the current owner(no issue at all if it was Spitfireace’s idea to do that). I certainly didn't catch any connection to that as penance for him having contacted the vet. So I think this might be two different issues and a product of internet communication confusion. Since it’s not about me and I’m apparently being way too controversial(or offended and hence offensive) I’ll drop it.
Dave

I agree on the confusion part. No hard feelings here. And, no hard feelings toward Spitfire. We all make missteps. It’s a delicate situation especially when dealing with individuals who may not understand your true intentions ... then, before you know it, the well intended contact has gone sideways. I’m sure he would do it much differently today and/or tread very carefully.

On a different note, I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving, Spitfire.

- Ian

Stony

I'd donate to a fund to buy the jacket and give it to the vet.

I did this with a jacket about 15 years ago. For those that remember, many members of VLJ donated to this fund and the jacket was sent on it's way.

As for what is going to happen to the jacket once it's in the vet's hands......once he passes away, which is probably going to be in the next few years based on his age, who is going to inherit the jacket? That person might keep it or they might sell it. In the case of the family selling it, what's the point in getting it back to the vet/family?

Stony

I also have a question? If it was turned in at the end of the war, how did it end up on the market? Did someone in supply steal this and other jackets only to sell them down the road? Interesting to say the least.

johnwayne

Crikey, does this saga mean anyone owning an original should feel a little guilty or attempt to track down the vet/his family?
It is a tough call and I for one would be gutted to have someone else own a relatives treasured momento/ keepsake - a museum is totally different and you'd be proud too see whatever on display but would our views be any different if the monetary aspect wasn't involved? At least the majority here I'd like to think are proud owner collectors rather than dealers but even museums I gather have lots more than that they display and have clear outs once in a while and probably done so with little or no sentiment involved. If said A2's were treasured by the owner/wearer then why have they left the family in the first place - probably sold I would guess!

EmergencyIan

No one is saying you should track down the vet or their family. It wa said that you should NOT do so unless you’re prepared to dontate the jacket or other item as it’s predictable that they or their family will want the item back.

As for how the jacket is treated once it’s in the hands of a veteran or thier family, it’s really not our concern or business. It’s up to them as it’s part of their legacy.

- Ian

stanier

Just my tuppence worth, but I’d be want to be very very very sure a vet of any nations services wanted to discuss any aspect of their service before approaching them.

I just can’t help feeling that it’s easy to assume a vet might feel enthusiasm for their service through the prism of our 21st century interest, and let’s face it hobby.

However, that vet may have seen and done things they’ve spent the best part of 70 plus years trying to forget and up pops someone in the twilight of their years to remind them. That’d sure make me less than friendly if I were in those shoes.

Just another perspective guys.

Cheers

Pilot

95DEA6DD-9C8D-449F-AC31-22C33AFC9C52.jpeg
13F6A396-07A3-43E1-847D-C8EBFC3C02B4.jpeg
You need to send that bronco to me pilot. It won’t fit you ha.
Sure, please do the adequate donation on my foundation: www.need-euro.com...Please feel free to PM me for details.:) :) :)

Last edited: