• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Mint WWII B-15 still in the box! Incredible!

bazelot

Never seen that before. Seller made a mistake accepting a buy it now option in my mind. This is unique:

daw

Still not cheap-what do you suppose the market might have borne at auction? I'm not too familiar with this type of jacket. Guess it's worth whatever someone's willing to pay.

B-Man2

That shows there are still some museum quality pieces out there. Although I would have a difficult time justifying wearing that one when there are so many quality repros out there. A jacket like this is a real find.

Skyhawk

Wow cool find! Reminds me of the 1960's G-1 in the box some years back.
Being WWII era and still in a box adds a huge amount of value. Supply and rarity considered. There can't be very many of these lying around.

My guess is that is was from an estate sale and probably obtained for a fraction of the selling price. Talk about luck. Can you imagine running across this box in a estate sale?!

Value could exceed the amount paid. If it were an A-2 or A-1, you would probably be looking at a value of over $5,000. Maybe a great deal more than that in the case of an A-1. Now that would be worth a fortune!

-Jay

Micawber

That is quite an artefact and not something that ought to be worn. The description says "These came out of an old estate in Western Pennsylvania."

Smithy

You could probably argue that he immediately lost 30% or so of the value by opening it in the first place. Then again difficult to sell an unopened box on ebay without perhaps going to the extremes of providing x-ray imaging of the interior.

Even opened it's unique. The box alone is something you never see.

B-Man2

That is quite an artefact and not something that ought to be worn. The description says "These came out of an old estate in Western Pennsylvania."
Funny that we were discussing this Steve, when we were talking about RoughWear in Middletown PA . Remember our conversation when I mentioned that I bet there were some original A2’s stashed away in antique stores, attics and closets up in that area? This certainly isn’t very far from that area.
This certainly gives me some hope that I could be right .

Edward

just for posterity and our historic records I am reposting the images here because they will eventually be deleted by eBay.
B15AEbay.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg
s-l1600-9.jpg

Flightengineer

...and it'll give hope to those that somewhere in a long forgotten room covered in dust lies a mint, unissued A-2 still in its original packaging ;-)

This magnificent find show to all us that miracles sometimes happen and probably will be happen again while one are hiding something .... someone later finds it.

At the air show aout 15 years ago flew Me-109G , assembled from several different surviving aircraft. A DB-605 engine was installed on it was found in factory new condition in a walled up room in a factory for swimming equipment in Turin!

I have an M-51 field jacket that was found in the NOS condition in a hermetically sealed box in the attic of one of the homes for sale in US. Who packed it and why carefully glued it is no longer recognizable.

kirova

You could probably argue that he immediately lost 30% or so of the value by opening it in the first place. Then again difficult to sell an unopened box on ebay without perhaps going to the extremes of providing x-ray imaging of the interior.

toy collectors does it all the time, many collectors insisted on having the item still sealed in their original brown shipping box, and of course, they will never open it :)

Smithy

At the air show aout 15 years ago flew Me-109G , assembled from several different surviving aircraft. A DB-605 engine was installed on it was found in factory new condition in a walled up room in a factory for swimming equipment in Turin!

Dmitry, I bet that's the 109G that Mark Hanna did an incredible display in at Warbirds over Wanaka back in the mid 90s. Absolutely incredible!