• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL MAKERS-UNITED SHEEPLINED A2

Roughwear

United Sheeplined, had one contract with the USAAF and was based in Long Branch, New Jersey. The jackets have some similarities to Broncos, with the bevelled pockets, but on the Sheeplined the shoulder seam is placed under the epaulet rather than behind it as on the Bronco. I understand that Sheeplined and Bronco are from the same stable as Spiewak.

I have two Sheeplined A2s, both size 42, yet their are slight differences between the two jackets. The darker of the two jackets was worn by an Airborne Lieutenant, J.I.MCDowell.

Leather
One jacket is darker than the other and the horsehide is thicker and has a more shiny patina. Both jackets have a healthy grain. They were obviously not made from the same batch of hides! One had a modern painiting on the back which I was able to carefully scrape off without damaging the leather.

Lining
Again the lining of one is more of a tobacco colour than the other. One has an inspector's stamp 222 and the other has 282.

Hardware
Both have their original zips, one being a Crown and the other a triple-marked Talon. They both have ring snaps, although they are smaller than those used on Aero and Poughkeepsie jackets. The troat latches are in slightly different locations on both jackets.

Knits
The waistband on both jackets are original. One has replacement cuffs and judging by the wool and the seam, these were done in the war using a section of waistband. The other has ELC replacement cuffs which I put on recently.

Other features
Although both have relatively pointed collars, one is more pointed than the other. The pocket flaps are half a cm deeper on one jacket than the other and the pockets themselves are also about a cm wider too. One jacket has its original spec label and the other has a repro label courtesy of John Chapman.

Measurements
Armpit to armpit: 22.5"
Length of sleeve from shoulder to end of sleeve (not including the knit): 22"/22.5"
Across the shoulders:18"/19"
Back from base of collar to bottom of hem:25"
In conclusion they are really comfortable roubust jackets which I wear regularly. It just goes to show how jackets from the same contract exhibited differences.

001-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-6.jpg

008-4.jpg

009-2.jpg

013-3.jpg

012-6.jpg

011-5.jpg

015-2.jpg

017-5.jpg

020-5.jpg

018-4.jpg

019-4.jpg

021-3.jpg

022-4.jpg

023-4.jpg

024-4.jpg

025-4.jpg

zoomer

Outstanding examples - thanks for showing them.

You are no doubt correct about the Uniteds varying in measure - my Good Wear 44 was copied from an original United with a 50" (!) chest. Or maybe one or the other was mistagged!

Never even having seen an original United up close I still recognize the thick light tan stitching, shape of pockets and flaps, hidden shoulder seams and the relatively full body shape.

AIUI, Bronco and United were founded by 2 of Murray Spiewak's sons.

Roughwear

zoomer said:
Outstanding examples - thanks for showing them.

You are no doubt correct about the Uniteds varying in measure - my Good Wear 44 was copied from an original United with a 50" (!) chest. Or maybe one or the other was mistagged!

Never even having seen an original United up close I still recognize the thick light tan stitching, shape of pockets and flaps, hidden shoulder seams and the relatively full body shape.

AIUI, Bronco and United were founded by 2 of Murray Spiewak's sons.

Thanks Zoomer. I particularly like the contrasting tan thread and bevelled pockets, making them quite distinctive A2s. I knew it was Isaac's Spiwak's relatives started Sheeplined and Bronco, just wasn't sure of their names.

A

Anonymous

The posting of original jackets which you do are very valuable- you can really see alot! Thanks!

bazelot

Awesome jackets, exactly my size and in perfect condition.
Damn I want one. I can give you a whole $200 for them :). You shouldn't pass on this offer :)

Roughwear

bazelot said:
Awesome jackets, exactly my size and in perfect condition.
Damn I want one. I can give you a whole $200 for them :). You shouldn't pass on this offer :)

Thanks. But I pass on your offer. ;)

zoomer

I see David - thanks for the reminder. Mike Spiewak omits the names of United's founders, who were not actually Spiewaks but married-in.