• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL MAKERS-POUGHKEEPSIE A2 SIZE 44

Roughwear

I have finally got around to taking some pictures of my Poughkeepsie A2. It belonged to a G.J.Gmelch. The is evidence of a triangular patch being sewn below the name strip.
Leather
Very supple russet horsehide, with some areas of deep grain. Poughkeepsie horsehide is known to be thinner compared with most other makers. It is certainly thinner, but also strong and very comfortable to wear. The tan stitching is pleasing to the eye.

Hardwear
The zipper is a double marked Talon and works perfectly with no separation at the male end. I have also seen triple-marked Talons on Poughkeepsies. The ring snaps are larger than those found on Broncos and United Sheeplined and are like those found on Aeros, which is not surprising as I believe Poughkeepsie Leather Clothing was an off-shoot of Aero.

Lining
The mustard coloured lining is almost 100% perfect and has the inspector's stamp D23.

Knits
The knits are all original and are in good order, with only a few repaired moth nips.

Features
Poughkeepsie A2s are fairly generic. They do not have zipper reinforcement stitching. The bottom of the pockets on this jacket are curved, although on others I have owned they are more pointed like Aeros. The box stitching on the epaulets extends to the outer stitch lines. The jacket does not have a collar stand.

Measurements
Armpit to armpit: 23"
Across the shoulders: 19.5"
Length of sleeve from shoulder seam to end of knit cuff: 25"
Back from base of collar to bottom of the waistband: 25"

Conclusion
Poughkeepsie A2s are amongst my favourite. I particularly like the mid-russet colour and the tan stitching. This jacket has had little wear and is a great example from this 1942 contract.

016-5.jpg

017-4.jpg

014-4.jpg

020-4.jpg

025-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

012-5.jpg

011-4.jpg

010-2.jpg

007-5.jpg

008-3.jpg

023-3.jpg

better duck

Thanks Andrew, looks like a great jacket! Does it fit you well?
Do you use it as a daily wearer or keep it for special occasions?

TankBuster

Andrew,
Very nice jacket. If I remember correctly, there was a 15th AAF Bomb Squadron that had a triangle shaped squadron patch. Once I get some time, I'll try to find it.

Roughwear

better duck said:
Thanks Andrew, looks like a great jacket! Does it fit you well?
Do you use it as a daily wearer or keep it for special occasions?

I wear it quite often as it is so comfortable. It's an excellent fit.

Roughwear

TankBuster said:
Andrew,
Very nice jacket. If I remember correctly, there was a 15th AAF Bomb Squadron that had a triangle shaped squadron patch. Once I get some time, I'll try to find it.

Thanks Jeff. It would be nice to see what the original patch looked like if you can track it down.

T-Bolt

That's really a very nice original, Andrew. I would love to get a solid original jacket like that, to use a regular wearer. :cool:

Ted

Roughwear

T-Bolt said:
That's really a very nice original, Andrew. I would love to get a solid original jacket like that, to use a regular wearer. :cool:

Ted

It's hard to find larger size Poughkeepsies in decent condition. I have owned three before this one. Both size 42s were a little short in the body and the 44 had been relined and badly re-cuffed so it was sold two years ago. Good luck with your search, Ted.