• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL KINGS POINT MFG. CO. NASA JACKET FROM APOLLO XV ASTRONAUT JAMES IRWIN

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

My last post of the year is reserved for one example that I consider to be the "Holy Grail" for a wide variety of collectors.

The Nasa jackets are among the rarest flight jackets ever issued, as they came from extremely small contracts and were only worn by astronauts and NASA test pilots during the late 60's and early 70's.

Made by the prominent Kings Point Mfg. Co, this mustard yellow version is probably the less known of the Nasa jackets. By comparison, this makes the extremely rare blue version appear rather "common".

This example belonged to James Benson Irwin. He was an American astronaut, aeronautical engineer, test pilot, and United States Air Force pilot. The highlight of his career was to serve as Lunar Module pilot for Apollo XV, the fourth human lunar landing, giving him the distinction of being the 8th person to walk on the Moon.

This jacket is in mint condition, which is rare considering it is over 50 years old. I admit that it could use a good wash but I'm a bit hesitant to do it.

The construction is similar to the L-2B flight jacket. The outer shell is made of mustard yellow fabric, and interior is white silk-lined (no interior pockets).

There are angled pockets with snap closures on each side and a cigarette pocket with four pen-type slots on the upper left sleeve.

Blackened Scovill zippers come with black leather zipper tabs.

The black knit rib cuffs, waistband and collar are made of wool.

Left chest depicts the extremely rare Type IV NASA vector patch.

Right chest depicts Irwin's name tag, printed "J.B.IRWIN"

I have to admit that it took me a while finding a period picture of him wearing this jacket, but it definitely was worth it.

It’s mind-blowing to only imagine the adventures this jacket experienced during one of the most important events in the history of mankind.

Hope you guys enjoy it, and happy New Year's Eve!!

Regards,
Jorge
DB9353E5-FC6F-47C0-A61C-5A6076D6B328.jpeg

B19C2F83-5742-4BA1-8F5C-03ECF254B50C.jpeg
DAAC05C9-2171-45D3-B460-9A2D4763B854.jpeg
B1B19164-E4CC-4AE8-B1BA-15E6F685B501.jpeg
C2361592-87D5-4949-9346-7D7DDA2FFC5B.jpeg
B576C811-098F-4830-92DD-AE460BE92AA2.jpeg
BD515249-C371-44AD-8FFF-45CA10D88FCF.jpeg

Last edited: