• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL GORDON & FERGUSON CO. SPEC M-422A INTERMEDIATE JACKETS

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

Today I would like to share an example that became the main intermediate flight jacket for the USN from the beginning to the end of WWII; the spec M-422A.

This example was made by Gordon & Ferguson Co. under contract No. NXs 416 in 1941.

The basic design inherits the style of the M-422. Later AN6552, AN-J-3A, G-1 (55J14) and current G-1 (MIL-J-7823).

The condition of this jacket looks to be unused. The goatskin is superb and the mouton collar is mint. Talon zipper working perfectly. Some staining on the lining due to the leather tanning process but this is common with G&F, but shows no wear at all, and even the label is spotless. A couple moth holes on the knits which are totally normal due to the nature of the material. “USN” stencil stencil under looks sharp.

Being marked as a 42, the fit of this jacket is amazing!

Say no more guys, enjoy the pics!

Regards,
Jorge
F89B38FF-D223-4E5F-B77D-0992F3109B69.jpeg
2095FBC2-E6F9-4923-8D4D-9640ACA4DD8C.jpeg
1FE0C047-01AE-4220-9DF1-067BFE41016D.jpeg
425F4D89-497F-48BF-86C4-3FC630F1DDF1.jpeg

south9407

I’m late to the party on this one, but that is a fantastic looking jacket. I’ve been obsessing over one like this for over 20 years. Unfortunately, repros are way too expensive and so are the originals that are found on eBay.
I did come across a guy in Denmark who has started a flight jacket business and offers his example of the G&F M-422a. Very reasonable price and his specs are spot on. I’ll try to get some pics posted. Check out avileather.com if you get the chance.

Attachments

• 1C97FE5B-7885-4AAE-8E1A-C8555CEE5C4B.jpeg
    1C97FE5B-7885-4AAE-8E1A-C8555CEE5C4B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 140

B-Man2

I’m late to the party on this one, but that is a fantastic looking jacket. I’ve been obsessing over one like this for over 20 years. Unfortunately, repros are way too expensive and so are the originals that are found on eBay.
I did come across a guy in Denmark who has started a flight jacket business and offers his example of the G&F M-422a. Very reasonable price and his specs are spot on. I’ll try to get some pics posted. Check out avileather.com if you get the chance.

Hi South9407
Welcome to VLJ !
Thanks for your post. AVI leather’s is well known to most of us here. If you do a few searches on AVI you’ll find that several posts evaluating their jackets can be found here.

tda003

Great looking jacket. I have one also. My father had one issued during WWII. I remember it as a child ca. 1950. The more pointed collar it has stayed with me, but it did. I learned what it was here on VLJ and subsequently found one. I really like it. Congratulations on your jacket(s).