• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Gardner Corporation B-15B

917_k

Hey all,

As some of you know, I have a bit of an obsession with the B-15 flight jacket. So here we have my latest acquisition and now the 13th B-15 jacket in my collection. Amazingly I’ve actually got three B-15B jackets, with this being the one that finally ticks all my boxes (the 1st one I acquired is quite large and has a replacement zipper, the 2nd is a total wreck and needs restoring).

For anyone not familiar with these, the B-15B was a replacement for the wartime B-15A and the first version issued in nylon. Like a lot of clothing during this transitional phase, when the Air Force separated from the Army, the jackets were still issued in olive green. Interestingly, a lot of kit was also issued under a wartime contract that was continued by the Air Force: AF33(038), (you’ll see wartime issued clothing with the order number 33-038).

Gardner Corporation were 1 of three manufacturers contracted to produce the B-15B, the other two being Great Lakes Manufacturing and Reed Products Inc. Great Lakes and Reed produced the first spec, in around 1949, with Gardner producing the second version around 1949-50 and now being the more common of the B-15Bs that turn up (it’s still a very rare jacket). The Gardner jacket features Prentice zippers and a different style of leather oxygen mask tab on the front, other than that they’re all basically the same.

This jacket is pretty special because it’s completely original and still includes the original zipper. I believe Prentice zippers were quite weak and so a lot of these jackets have had the zippers replaced. The Air Force ‘meatball’ is still clear and visible, as is the Air Force lettering. It’s a 38 as well, so fits nicely.

To complete the ensemble I also acquired a pair of matching A-11B flight trousers, made by Sigmund Eisner. There’s not a lot of interest in flight trousers, so they can often be found dirt cheap. These though are very rare and I’ve only ever seen 1 otr pair.

Enjoy!

8A291E05-3CD7-48E9-B917-6B1BE7CC01CC.jpeg

4270A6AC-89F5-460B-9CA2-8389815B963C.jpeg

36C585A7-ACC6-4BC3-B192-7212959B5868.jpeg

14630634-4362-4CE2-810C-0386DA9B9EA2.jpeg

510535E1-D9A1-4081-8854-F24B59A890C7.jpeg

CD61DEB5-B1A6-4D56-AE1F-56E4097A4559.jpeg

B-Man2

Thats an outstanding find, to add to your outstanding collection of B-15s.
What was it that made the B-15 the focal point of your interest?
I understand that we all have specific jackets that do it for us, I was just asking if there were any special features about the jacket that really attracted you to it.

917_k

I understand that we all have specific jackets that do it for us, I was just asking if there were any special features about the jacket that really attracted you to it.

Thanks Burt.

Regarding the interest in B-15s, I mostly collect late WW2/early USAF clothing & equipment, so these fall squarely into that category. I just find them the best looking, most practical and most interesting of all the pre-60s Air Force flight jackets. From about the early/mid 60s all of the flight clothing started to become standardised a lot more and by that point they’d figured out what worked, so you don’t get all the different design variations. WW2 stuff at the other end of the spectrum is now rare and costly (and I’m not particularly a fan of leather jackets). Whilst I’ve got a lot of B-15s, I’m still collecting other jackets as well from that era, but things like the L-2 & L-2A are very hard to find.

B-Man2

Thanks Burt.

Regarding the interest in B-15s, I mostly collect late WW2/early USAF clothing & equipment, so these fall squarely into that category. I just find them the best looking, most practical and most interesting of all the pre-60s Air Force flight jackets. From about the early/mid 60s all of the flight clothing started to become standardised a lot more and by that point they’d figured out what worked, so you don’t get all the different design variations. WW2 stuff at the other end of the spectrum is now rare and costly (and I’m not particularly a fan of leather jackets). Whilst I’ve got a lot of B-15s, I’m still collecting other jackets as well from that era, but things like the L-2 & L-2A are very hard to find.
Thanks for that and you’re spot on about the L series jackets getting harder to find . I’ve found one original L-2A in my days of buying jackets and although it was a larger size jacket, it was still too short for me in the back length. I’ve marveled at your collection as I know how difficult it can be to find some of those jackets . You’ve done a great job in finding some mint ones .

MaydayWei

Stunning. Thanks for sharing your newest acquisition.
B-15s belong no better than in your collection.
We trust you'll care for her very well indeed.
Plus, a perfect fit. Wear her in good health, my friend!

bseal

B-15B = Thicc

C976F7D6-7F2C-4504-B71A-DC134124F53B.jpeg

917_k

Stunning. Thanks for sharing your newest acquisition.
B-15s belong no better than in your collection.
We trust you'll care for her very well indeed.
Plus, a perfect fit. Wear her in good health, my friend!

Thank you! Not sure I’m doing a good job of caring for it though, wore it out last night in a night club/pub until 3 in the morning…(now has a load of beer stains to add to the patina haha).

917_k

Which pant/trousers came after the A-11b ? I'm guessing the F-1?

The flight trouser pairings for USAAF/USAF jackets are as follows:

USAAF
B-9 flight jacket + A-8 trousers
B-10 flight jacket + A-9 trousers
B-11 flight jacket + A-10 trousers

USAF

N-2 flight jacket + D-1 trousers
N-3 flight jacket + F-1 trousers
B-15 flight jacket + A-11 trousers
A-1 Shirt + E-1 trousers

In terms of the spec for the B-15:

B-15 + A-11 (green cloth)
B-15B + A-11B (green nylon)
B-15C + A-11C (blue nylon)
B-15D + A-11D (sage green nylon)

The other USAF stuff just came in the initial spec with no letter (olive green) and then the A (Air Force blue) and B (sage green) series. So for example you have an N-3B with a pair of F-1B trousers, both in sage green. Once the USAF adopted sage green there was no need to change the letter from the spec, instead they changed changed the specification number.

Sorry for the long post and going off on a bit of a tangent, thought people might find it helpful.

OperationCoffee

Good info.. When you have some time , how about adding what years these combos were instituted. Do you have a website I could research? Would love to know more. I collect trousers too.