• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL FLITE WEAR JACKET FROM NASA TEST PILOT JERE COBB

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

Today I would like to share an original example of the Flite Wear model for NASA with an amazing past. These models are one of the rarest flight jackets ever made, as they came from extremely small contracts. They were only issued to astronauts and NASA test pilots.

This example belonged to Jere Cobb. He was hired as a test pilot by NASA in 1963. He went to Langley Air Force Base and then transferred to Ellington Air Force Base in Houston. As a test pilot, he flew the T-33 Shooting Star and T-38 Talon as well as the Gulfstream I and II. He was instrumental in zero-gravity training and was often flying NASA’s specially outfitted KC-135, nicknamed the “Vomit Comet”. He was a member of The Society for Experimental Test Pilots and spent much time at Boeing testing numerous aircraft and aiding in safety design and facilitating improvements. He logged more hours in the Lunar Landing Test Vehicle (LLTV) than any other pilot and trained the astronauts including the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong. He remained at Nasa until 1977.

The funny part of this story is that he gave this jacket as a gift to his 8 year old neighbor. Attached is even a pic of them together from that day!

Unfortunaltely, I just found out that he passed away last month, which is very sad!

The condition of the jacket is incredible considering it is 50 years old. All parts are original to the jacket.

Left chest depicts a pristine NASA meatball patch. (2.5”)

Right chest has velcro for name tag. (4x2”)

It’s amazing to only imagine the adventures this jacket has lived during its service.

Say no more guys, enjoy it!

Regards,
Jorge
74E82E47-997C-4145-8B42-DC57CEF015BA.jpeg
5896B39C-3C9F-441E-B409-49F8EC200EDD.jpeg
AD90DEC3-076E-488E-8148-258CFA7E14DF.jpeg
C7C208CA-C0D1-4480-BBDF-A1C803BC5244.jpeg
64BE26EC-9F5D-43AB-B290-2FE841E6B55E.jpeg
460027FB-1505-4A5C-9FFD-D72BDB2444C8.jpeg
2EA84E1F-B848-47C7-8414-3B18F7B1A592.jpeg
14A8CAA7-7B60-4B50-A416-85BCC9F282B7.jpeg

ButteMT61

I will say though that my Lunar Replicas jacket is a damn near perfect rendition! I'm sure I paid less than Jorge did, but I'm very happy to have one that looks so good!

B-Man2

I will say though that my Lunar Replicas jacket is a damn near perfect rendition! I'm sure I paid less than Jorge did, but I'm very happy to have one that looks so good!
Butte
I remembered that you have one . What size is yours and if it’s an XL would you please post some measurements so us bigger guys can figure out whether we’re a Large or an Extra Large .?
Thanks

ButteMT61

Butte
I remembered that you have one . What size is yours and if it’s an XL would you please post some measurements so us bigger guys can figure out whether we’re a Large or an Extra Large .?
Thanks
@B-Man2 - I have a "48". I will do it this weekend and post up!