• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Dubow 27798

Lorenzo_l

Part 1. the jacket
Sometime last year, I was lucky enough to acquire, from a member of this forum, an original Dubow 27798 A-2 in the less common goatskin. I have been meaning to post a review of this jacket for a while, so here it is. All pictures are mine unless noted.

Dubow_Semple_front.jpg

Photo courtesy of Vic (@silversurfer)

The jacket has known provenance to a fighter pilot in the ETO (more on that and the patch in Part 2) and is in wearable condition. Upon getting the jacket, I was blown away by how supple yet strong the goatskin skin is. I asked Vic before getting the jacket whether he thought the jacket needed conditioning, and he said it didn't. After 80+ years, the hide is in excellent condition and definitely needs no conditioning. The collar lobes on the Dubow are, in my opinion, the best!

The back of the jacket (Photo courtesy of Vic (@silversurfer)):

Dubow_Semple_back.jpg

You will notice a faint painting of a P-38 on the back. This is the type of aeroplane that the jacket's original owner used to fly. This picture shows the painting a bit better:

DSC_0117_2.jpg

The painting is fading, but one can clearly identify the aeroplane as a P-38.

The squadron patch:
DSC_0099.JPG

The patch is that of the 49th Fighter Squadron, 14th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force. The 14th FG fought in Tunisia and the Italian campaign. According to sources, it is likely that the patch could have been commissioned in Italy to a local artisan, while the unit was stationed there. It differs some from the official patch, which might attest to a local commission

The nametag:
DSC_0136.JPG

While the nametag reads "W. D. Semple", the jacket was very likely issued to Warren Everett Semple. Upon discussing this with Vic, I was told that misspelt names on nametags were a fairly common occurrence.

The nomenclature, including the inspector's stamp:

DSC_0135.JPG

The epaulettes, with the rank insignia's stitch marks:
DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_0112.JPG

The left sleeve's AAF meatball:

DSC_0124.JPG

It wasn't until taking and inspecting the above picture that I noticed the stitch marks along the meatball's circumference. Obviously, another patch (probably 15th AF's?) was probably sewn onto the sleeve.

The right-hand sleeve bears a painted US flag:

DSC_0123.JPG

More pics on a follow-up post

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Part 1. the jacket
Sometime last year, I was lucky enough to acquire, from a member of this forum, an original Dubow 27798 A-2 in the less common goatskin. I have been meaning to post a review of this jacket for a while, so here it is. All pictures are mine unless noted.

View attachment 93207

Photo courtesy of Vic (@siversurfer)

The jacket has known provenance to a fighter pilot in the ETO (more on that and the patch in Part 2) and is in wearable condition. Upon getting the jacket, I was blown away at how supple yet strong the goatskin skin is. I asked Vic before getting the jacket whether he thought the jacket needed conditioning, and he said it didn't. After 80+ years, the hide is in excellent condition and definitely needs no conditioning. The collar lobes on the Dubow are, in my opinion, the best!

The back of the jacket (Photo courtesy of Vic (@siversurfer):

View attachment 93209

You will notice a faint painting of a P-38 on the back. This is the type of aeroplane that the jacket's original owner used to fly. This picture shows the painting a bit better:

View attachment 93211

The painting is fading, but one can clearly identify the aeroplane as a P-38.

The squadron patch:
View attachment 93223

The patch is that of the 49th Fighter Squadron, 14th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force. The 14th FG fought in Tunisia and the Italian campaign. According to sources, it is likely that the patch could have been commissioned in Italy to a local artisan, while the unit was stationed there. It differs some from the official patch, which might attest to a local commission

The nametag:
View attachment 93227

While the nametag reads "W. D. Semple", the jacket was very likely issued to Warren Everett Semple. Upon discussing this with Vic, I was told that misspelt names on nametags were a fairly likely occurrence.

The nomenclature, including the inspector's stamp:

View attachment 93229

The epaulettes, with the rank insignia's stitch marks:
View attachment 93231

View attachment 93233

The left sleeve's AAF meatball:

View attachment 93235

It wasn't until taking and inspecting the above picture that I noticed the stitch marks along the meatball's circumference. Obviously, another patch (probably 15th AF's?) was probably sewn onto the sleeve.

The right-hand sleeve bears a painted US flag:

View attachment 93237

More pics on a follow-up post
Part 1 continued..

The collar:
DSC_0122.JPG

The pockets:

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

Notice that the pockets' male press studs are missing. Is it worth adding them or best to leave the jacket as is?

The throat hook:

DSC_0127.JPG

The closure (including what looks like the jacket's original leather pull), M-41 Crown, with its auto-lock mechanism clearly visible in the second picture, simply a piece of mechanical art (what kind of a nerd am I becoming to find beauty in a zipper!):

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0132.JPG

Isn't that a beauty?

A couple of fit pics:

DSC_0104_2.jpg

DSC_0100_2.jpg

The jacket fits well. But, do I get to wear it? With the provenance, the patch and the fading artwork on the jacket's back, I would not dare take this baby to the local pub, no way. This is, the way I see it, a piece of history. In my book, this jacket belongs in a museum and I just happen to have the honour to be a temporary caretaker/custodian.

I'll post what I know about the jacket's original owner in a follow-up post. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Lorenzo, many thanks for this post. Excellent jacket and piece of history. This is a real gem in your collection.
When you have time please post measurements as this is a size 42 and I'd be very interested to compare with my repros in the same size.

ZuZu

Part 1 continued..

The collar:
View attachment 93239

The pockets:

View attachment 93241

View attachment 93243

Notice that the pockets' male press studs are missing. Is it worth adding them or best to leave the jacket as is?

The throat hook:

View attachment 93245

The closure (including what looks like the jacket's original leather pull), M-41 Crown, with its auto-lock mechanism clearly visible in the second picture, simply a piece of mechanical art (what kind of a nerd am I becoming to find beauty in a zipper!):

View attachment 93247

View attachment 93249

Isn't that a beauty?

A couple of fit pics:

View attachment 93251

View attachment 93253

The jacket fits well. But, do I get to wear it? With the provenance, the patch and the fading artwork on the jacket's back, I would not dare take this baby to the local pub, no way. This is, the way I see it, a piece of history. In my book, this jacket belongs in a museum and I just happen to have the honour to be a temporary caretaker/custodian.

I'll post what I know about the jacket's original owner in a follow-up post. Enjoy!

I kinda disagree with the whole History=Museum thing. I think it would be great to wear it (carefully) to the local pub or cafe. Tell people about the jacket and its history. There are enough jackets sitting in museums to be viewed by bored schoolchildren and a few nerds like us. Wear it!

Lorenzo_l

Mate that’s an awesome review
Thanks for posting up so many great pics and bits of information on this particular jacket
How does the goat feel?, lighter then steer or horse, thick or thin?
Hi @blackrat. The goat feels incredibly supple yet very strong. Does not look like it's ever been reconditioned nor does it need reconditioning now. The jacket is in everyday-wearable condition which, given that it was used (as attested to by the wear on the shoulders and sleeves) and that it is 80+ years old, is simply remarkable.
Apologies for the belated reply.

Lorenzo_l

Lorenzo, many thanks for this post. Excellent jacket and piece of history. This is a real gem in your collection.
When you have time please post measurements as this is a size 42 and I'd be very interested to compare with my repros in the same size.
Thanks, Dmitry.
Whilst tagged as a 42, the jacket fits me perfectly and I normally wear size 40 in A-2s. As Grant mentioned, it is tight fitting for a size 42.

Pit-to-pit: 21 1/2"
Shoulder-to-shoulder: 17 1/2".
Front length: 21 1/2".
Sleeves: 24"
Length, from the collar seam to the bottom of the waistband: 24 1/4"

My only other reference is a size 42 original Poughkeepsie which is tad large on me, like a true 42 should fit.

Flightengineer

Thanks, Dmitry.
Whilst tagged as a 42, the jacket fits me perfectly and I normally wear size 40 in A-2s. As Grant mentioned, it is tight fitting for a size 42.

Pit-to-pit: 21 1/2"
Shoulder-to-shoulder: 17 1/2".
Front length: 21 1/2".
Sleeves: 24"
Length, from the collar seam to the bottom of the waistband: 24 1/4"

My only other reference is a size 42 original Poughkeepsie which is tad large on me, like a true 42 should fit.

Many thanks. Yes, these measurements are more suitable for 40, which is probably why this jacket fits you so nice