• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Dubow 1755 as new (almost)

2BM2K

For many, many years I have been looking for an original A2 jacket in good condition, in my size and at a price I can afford. Having all but given up I found this one. This jacket exceeds my expectations of what is possible.

There is is hardly any wear on the jacket, maybe only worn a few times, the only indication of it's age is moth damage to the knits and corrosion on the metalware. The leather is supple and strong, feels like new and when I wear it the leather makes a creaky noise.

The zipper is fully functional but a little stiff.

Tag size 38. Weight of jacket 1.25 kg.

There is a lot of moth damage, I would like to replace the knits if I can find some in the correct Dubow colour.

The pocket tag is in prestine condition. The colour of the thread is grey-green which is unusual. The colour for the Dubow 1755 contract is more normally a mid-brown (AFAIK).

A mid-brown thread end can be seen poking out in this photo.

WBOONE

Great jacket! Hope you enjoy it. I've been looking also for about 2 years but i"m a size 46 and Andrew has most of them:)

tibor

Fantastic find... maybe get some new knits and you're good to go. The stitch lines at the top of the wind flap live up to Dubow's reputation! You forget how spoiled we are with the quality of our top repro guys.

B-Man2

Great looking jacket in fabulous condition in a hard to find Dubow 1755 contract version!
I don't know if I would wear a historical piece and something in this nice of condition for full time use. They are far to hard to come by (as you well know after years of searching).
I don't know if that's your plan but whatever you decide congrats on your find. BTW can you tell us how you found the jacket or some of its history? Also I noticed a new stamp I've never seen before above the label. Looks like a iz5g. Anyone know the origin of this one?

Last edited:

2BM2K

I got the jacket from Ebay, even though it was easy to find it did not attract much attention. I know nothing about it's history.

I can only guess that the marking above the label is the id of the original wearer.

The jacket feels solid enough to wear safely, even so it will be treated gently and only worn occasionally.

Smithy

That really is beautiful, and the leather is in stunningly good nick. I can see why you're happy ;)

MikeyB-17

Whoa-amazing condition. A real wartime jacket, with the ropey stitching and mis-matched hides (look at the contrast between smooth and 'jerky' underarm panels), no concession to any of the things we worry about in modern repro's. All of which add to its character and make it the more fascinating. I think most would darn the knits rather than replace them, if they're savable. That lining is like new. Don't know what that IZ58 thing is, but it doesn't look official to me.

2BM2K

I think the cuffs are past darning, maybe the waistband could be done but there are a lot of holes.

I have been trying to take a better photo to show the colour of the thread. It is similar to OD but different.

blackrat2

Superb jacket,,the leather is amazing
With no history attached to it,I would also use it for occasional wear,being sensible where I took it
John perhaps for knits?...he has a link on his site for repairs also

Roughwear

Great last contract Dubow. It appears to have been worn, but as you say very little in the War. I would repair the knits rather than replace them. It is not the best executed Dubow I have seen. Whoever stitched it together was not the most skilled operative, but this just adds to the character of the jacket.

Silver Surfer

with a bunch of spare time and a lotta patience, you can save the knits. what do they look like on the inside? if the insides of the knits are in significantly better condition, you can remover the knits and refitted with the insides out. also, if ya very carefully remove the knits,, you can do the mending from inside where they are folded over, which looks far better then doing the mending on the outsides of the knits. also, the stitchn is bitchn.

2BM2K

After careful examination of the jacket I have come to the conclusion that it has been redyed but done to a high standard. Some over dye can be seen on the shoulder insignia and also the armpit grommits.

This does beg the question of why redye a jacket that is in good condition?

Silver Surfer

like i wrote, "with a lotta time and patience" the work can be done. is it worth the effort? you have to make that call. if you intend to wear the jacket, perhaps replacing the knit elements is in order. the replacement of knits was done during and post war, on a regular basis, so im not against doing it for a wearer. im not too sure that the jac is a redye, as the color dif under the meatball and upper sleeve is minimal . the color dif reflects usage, sun, atmospheric, storage, imho. i have seen this countless times on not redyed a-2s. remember, the decal prevents all of the above from affect the hh underneath it. the under arm vent grommets are as they should be, painted brown, the outside snap surfaces do not show any traces of dye or paint, and from what i can see, the inside of the pocket is consistent in color with the out side. also, because the stitching is faded, and not dyed, i have to conclude the jac is not redyed. there aint nothing like wearing a robust original.

Last edited: