• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Devon Fleece Irvin.

Spitfireace

I don't want to spoil the party but your mainzip is a new replacement, probably done by Aeroleather whilst doing the other repairs. It doesn't detract the state and quality of your jacket. Enjoy it!
Waiting for someone to point that out. Yes, main zip is an
Aero replacement. Very hard to find a period zip.

Spitfireace

I completely understand and agree with you. I have trouble with wearing original A2’s . They represent a period and a group of people who
are gone and the jacket is pretty much all that’s left. I could wear it and beat it up or.... I could save it as a piece of history from that period of time , take care of it and then pass it on to another guy....who will probably wear it ... tear the shit out of it.... and not give a damn ...;) Nah!! ...... just kidding .. but I would like to think that the next guy down the line that gets it will take care of it and pass it on in similar fashion.
I think we should take care of what we have at this time.

Spitfireace

I completely understand and agree with you. I have trouble with wearing original A2’s . They represent a period and a group of people who
are gone and the jacket is pretty much all that’s left. I could wear it and beat it up or.... I could save it as a piece of history from that period of time , take care of it and then pass it on to another guy....who will probably wear it ... tear the shit out of it.... and not give a damn ...;) Nah!! ...... just kidding .. but I would like to think that the next guy down the line that gets it will take care of it and pass it on in similar fashion.
The thing is that the history is not us, but that generation. So from my standpoint I'm looking at my dad's generation.

Spitfireace

I don't want to spoil the party but your mainzip is a new replacement, probably done by Aeroleather whilst doing the other repairs. It doesn't detract the state and quality of your jacket. Enjoy it!
This is my one regret on this jacket. It had an eighties Talon on it when I bought it from e-bay. Unfortunately it's hard to source an original AM zip when you need one. Aero Leather Scotland did not have one on hand. They aren't readily available and just because you might find one, does not mean it's guaranteed to work properly once installed. You might find you need to take it out again and replace a year or two down the road. So ya, I'm not trying to fool anybody on that. I wish it did have the original zip in it, but it's a trade off to having the rest of the jacket in such good shape. I mean some jackets have all original zippers, but they have repaired holes and whatnot. My real goal was to have a jacket in as good as possible leather/fleece shape.

Spitfireace

My dad wasn't a combat vet. He worked out of college on a Mosquito aircraft plant.
My dad just turned 96 the end of September. He went to Cambridge University to study Engineering. He was recruited by the war effort to work at a Mosquito aircraft factory. I haven't shown him this jacket. He doesn't know I have it. Under the circumstances right now, I haven't seen him for a few years and not sure if I can see him again before he passes.

jack31916

This is my one regret on this jacket. It had an eighties Talon on it when I bought it from e-bay. Unfortunately it's hard to source an original AM zip when you need one. Aero Leather Scotland did not have one on hand. They aren't readily available and just because you might find one, does not mean it's guaranteed to work properly once installed. You might find you need to take it out again and replace a year or two down the road. So ya, I'm not trying to fool anybody on that. I wish it did have the original zip in it, but it's a trade off to having the rest of the jacket in such good shape. I mean some jackets have all original zippers, but they have repaired holes and whatnot. My real goal was to have a jacket in as good as possible leather/fleece shape.
As said earlier: it doesn't detract or affect your jacket and sometimes you have to make a concession. This was your best option and that's perfect. You can wear the jacket and zipp it up. Once in a while ab original zipp shows up on Ebay but for big money. Maybe you ever will get a chance to buy one. Cheers and enjoy your jacket!

MaydayWei

I don't feel worthy as they say. It's a thrill to put on. I can't wear it like I own it.

As weird as what you said about 'worthiness' might sound; I am inclined to agree with you. I too find it difficult to feel sufficiently worthy to wear such a fine piece in such stellar condition that is so old and so very rare to be in such good stead.
A far cry from your original 1944 Irvin, but I often find myself having the same 'worthiness' problem with my mint 1945 USN Peacoat.
At least, the smiles these things give us by just putting it on or staring at it every once is a while is good enough.