• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Devon Fleece Irvin.

Spitfireace

After posting some pics on other threads, I saw I didn't actually make a thread for this jacket. I got this jacket a couple of years ago. This is my third winter with it. Last year I didn't go out in it at all. By out I mean just walking around the neighbourhood in close to freezing weather. Not something I would wear to a pub or something. I'm too fearful of damage to something that is really not that replaceable. I guess I would need a repro to wear. The thing is it's not that cold here on the west coast. I always thought the Irvin was the coolest jacket though. Trevor Howard in the Battle of Britain or whatever.
20191214_143725.jpg
20190202_110521 (1).jpg
20190209_105901 (1).jpg
20190209_104112 (1).jpg
20190209_104112 (1).jpg
20190202_114129 (1).jpg

Spitfireace

Spit
That thing is absolutely mint . It’s gorgeous, and what a rare bird in that condition. Looks like the guy got it and sent it right home. Is the label in it? If so can you post a quick photo?
Thanks
No there's no label. Common that they fell off as they were only hand stitched loosely on. Or that's what Andrew Swatland has said. I'm no expert. It's not as much of a drawback on original Irvin's as it is on A-2's. On A-2's it can reduce the resale price as much as half.

Spitfireace

It has had a little work done. Not going to say it was just like that when I bought it. I had Aero Leather Scotland do some restorative work on the waist belt and collar belt if you can call it a belt. I did a little conditioning on the collar fleece it needed a scrubbing with Woolite type soap just because it was making me sneeze. Probably 75 years worth of dust in it. Other than that the leather is in a phenomenal condition of no repairs, rips, tears or defects. That's why it caught my eye on e-bay. I also used a little lanolin on the it.

B-Man2

It has had a little work done. Not going to say it was just like that when I bought it. I had Aero Leather Scotland do some restorative work on the waist belt and collar belt if you can call it a belt. I did a little conditioning on the collar fleece it needed a scrubbing with Woolite type soap just because it was making me sneeze. Probably 75 years worth of dust in it. Other than that the leather is in a phenomenal condition of no repairs, rips, tears or defects. That's why it caught my eye on e-bay. I also used a little lanolin on the it.
Well...you did a bang up job..it looks great...

Smithy

Irvins are some of the more robust original sheepskin flying jackets and that looks in jolly good nick. I'd wear it and enjoy it. Saying that, it's old so treat it with a level of respect. If you want to wear something in any weather and situation and not fuss about it, I'd pick up a repro as well and save this old girl for special occasions.

B-Man2

Save the old girl.I think that would be the case. I thought I just wear it. But now I'm kind of thinking I shouldn't. Even a scuff would make me apoplectic.
I completely understand and agree with you. I have trouble with wearing original A2’s . They represent a period and a group of people who
are gone and the jacket is pretty much all that’s left. I could wear it and beat it up or.... I could save it as a piece of history from that period of time , take care of it and then pass it on to another guy....who will probably wear it ... tear the shit out of it.... and not give a damn ...;) Nah!! ...... just kidding .. but I would like to think that the next guy down the line that gets it will take care of it and pass it on in similar fashion.

Spitfireace

I completely understand and agree with you. I have trouble with wearing original A2’s . They represent a period and a group of people who
are gone and the jacket is pretty much all that’s left. I could wear it and beat it up or.... I could save it as a piece of history from that period of time , take care of it and then pass it on to another guy....who will probably wear it ... tear the shit out of it.... and not give a damn ...;) Nah!! ...... just kidding .. but I would like to think that the next guy down the line that gets it will take care of it and pass it on in similar fashion.
Yup better to be the guy that loves it for what it is than to pass it to someone who really doesn't get it.

Spitfireace

I don't feel worthy as they say. It's a thrill to put on. I can't wear it like I own it.