• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original California Sportwear G-1

kev15

So, my first purchased vintage jacket, from 1960. Sole purpose of my own self-entertainment was to build a Top Gun jacket. I was looking for a decent condition genuine Navy jacket. While I was searching, I found the forum and you guys :)
Here it is. All parts should be original, fully wearable condition.
Mouton collar is the highlight of the show. Leather is soft, although it has some scratches and wear. Lining is OK. Zipper is flawless. Cuffs and waistband has some moth holes, therefore I might replace them in the near future. Size is the tricky thing. Before I bought it, I knew already this is an oversized model. I am athletic, therefore appreciate the space at the shoulders, however it is a bit loose on my belly.
I hope you like it!
Best wishes,
Kevin
IMG_7445forum.JPG

IMG_7446forum.jpeg

IMG_7440forum.JPG

IMG_7459forum.JPG

IMG_7458forum.JPG

IMG_7428forum.JPG

IMG_7433forum.JPG

IMG_7460forum.jpeg

IMG_7423forum.JPG

IMG_7448forum.JPG

B-Man2

You did very well Kev! Very well indeed!
That’s a beauty . I have to tell you that if that’s the original collar to that jacket .. it’s outstanding . On a side note ( and this is just my opinion ) I wouldn’t patch that jacket . I would find a cheap original and use that as my patching jacket . This one is far too nice. Remember that patches come and go but........ Holes are forever!!’

kev15

Hey, I appreciate it! You know what, I was thinking the same. Before, I was very confident to go for it, flavour it up and let it rock! :cool:
After I read through the forum and saw so many nice "bare" jacket, I became hesitant. Nonetheless, here are the mostly original patches that I have. Only the Oriskany and CAG-19 are from Gibson & Barnes. Rest of them are genuine Navy issued.

IMG_7470forum.JPG

IMG_7477forum.JPG

IMG_7481forum.JPG

B-Man2

Like the jacket your patches are rocking as well. But some of those are original patches as well . Once again this is just my opinion but a jacket like you have is a rare bird and it’s in great condition . The patches are originals . Why punch holes in a jacket like that after all of these years that it’s been in pristine condition . Once you do that it will loose value . If the jacket had come with those patches already on it , it would be a different story. Grab an old worn G-1 for a cheap price and find some repro patches and patch away . Here’s what you have to remember, nobody other that another collector will know what you have . So wear the beat up one with repro patches and save that beautiful California Sportswear from becoming Swiss cheese ;) Now others may disagree but this is just my opinion.
Cheers

917_k

Please please do not patch that jacket!!! The early 7823 (AER) jackets are getting harder to find in decent condition and yours looks fantastic as it is.

You can pick up a later 7823e variant for not a lot of money and it would probably also be more accurate for the Top Gun era.

Welcome to the forum as well.

kev15

Nah not at all, I’m still here :) Thank you for your honest feedback, I appreciate it.
I haven’t decided yet, I’m not going to rush it, that I can promise. I still need a few more patches by the way, I can wait.
The thing is, just as much you would not patch an original, I could not put the genuine Japanese made, hand embroidered patches on a less perfect base. Reproductions for this project are strictly no go for me. This is the game is about. Patiently collecting the pieces, one by one. Mostly originals, or why do it anyway. Anybody can buy a Cockpit jacket, right? I mean, who can afford it. Not me, not now haha.
Later variants would also be less accurate, as I learned in another group, that the real movie hero jacket supposed to be a LW Foster 55J14. That being said, I’m still a decade late with this guy.

I also don’t want to scare you with my stubbornness. I respect your opinion. Thank you all!
Have a nice Sunday!

Greg Gale

When you put it that way...I would perhaps patch an original jacket with original patches, but I'd try to replicate a 60s jacket based on photos. Something real. I definitely wouldn't punch holes into this beauty for Tom Cruise - as much as I love that movie.

(Says the guy who is currently patching a CWU jacket to replicate CAG Owen's jacket from Final Countdown :D )

B-Man2

Well....... The jacket is yours to do what you will with . You asked for our collective opinions and now you have them . We’ve all been here long enough to see and here stories from guys like yourself who were unmoved by our opinions ... only to come back at a later time and say “ I wish now that I would have taken the advise of the people on this forum . Hopefully ... you won’t be one of them . Good Luck with your project , whatever you choose to do.

Last edited:

mulceber

The thing is, just as much you would not patch an original, I could not put the genuine Japanese made, hand embroidered patches on a less perfect base.

Why not? It seems to me you can always sew them on and remove them without noticeably damaging the patch. The same is not true of the jacket. But if the patches are as collectable as you think, I would say hold onto them and don't put them on any jacket. Find some repros of the patches and put them on a repro jacket. Burt is right - we've seen a lot of people come through here looking to mess with a jacket and it's never a good decision.

B-Man2

Why not? It seems to me you can always sew them on and remove them without noticeably damaging the patch. The same is not true of the jacket. But if the patches are as collectable as you think, I would say hold onto them and don't put them on any jacket. Find some repros of the patches and put them on a repro jacket. Burt is right - we've seen a lot of people come through here looking to mess with a jacket and it's never a good decision.

Jan
It always puzzles me when a newby comes into the forum and asks for advice on an issue or a project .. and after a great deal of response and some pretty good feedback .. ignores it all and continues on with his original idea or plan . I don’t get that . Why ask us in the first place ? The issue is basically that the newby has very limited or no knowledge of the rarity or the value of this jacket . As such he seems more concerned with the values of his original patches . Unfortunately he doesn’t understand that by putting those patches on that jacket he devalues both items . If the jacket originally came with those patches and it had been worn by someone in that original condition then no problem . But by doing this he is buggering up a rare jacket in museum quality condition and a high financial value...
Nothing more to offer on this one .