• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Bronco A-2 care and feeding questions

Ken at Aero Leather

Not at all, MIckey :)

I've fixed worse when we had The Thrift Shop, most of the bales we bought from The US were Grade3, just passed on what we would have done..............but I'm the sort of guy who darms the elbows of his vintage sweaters if needed and has restored everything from a Tweed Jacket to an Austin Healey 3000 to a 300 Year Old Mill with no roof

Morecowbell

I have a soft spot (in the head) for stuff that’s old and crunchy with history and style, so for me this is an amazing find. It may fall apart like a cartoon car tomorrow but when I bought it (nervously, from pics) I wasn’t sure if it was original or if it would fit me, so just the excitement of getting it has been worth several times the price, I can’t stop looking at it. And of course its really fun to do all this research.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I have a soft spot (in the head) for stuff that’s old and crunchy with history and style, so for me this is an amazing find. It may fall apart like a cartoon car tomorrow but when I bought it (nervously, from pics) I wasn’t sure if it was original or if it would fit me, so just the excitement of getting it has been worth several times the price, I can’t stop looking at it. And of course its really fun to do all this research.
So what’s happened with the jacket since this last post ? Have you tried to do anything with it or to condition it in any way ? If so would love to see how it turned out .
Cheers

Morecowbell

Hi everyone – wanted to provide a quick update. After a lot of research the patient went into surgery about a week ago. I repaired the shoulder tear and reinforced areas of the upper left chest and sleeve that were showing signs of cracking, then moisturized it. The repair/reinforcement method I used was a combination of recommendations: latex based rubber cement and organza fabric, flexible and strong, honestly surprising how well it seems to have worked. Then I moisturized it using an ADV leather product (Ken’s rec was out of stock), pretty sure it can stand another treatment (or ten), but so far so good.

Before:
1617715401174.png

After:

1617715444157.png

Behind the curtain:

1617715507191.png

This has been a blast, I love this kind of project but I understand its not for everyone! So I appreciate the indulgence of the group – for some this would be a fool’s errand but I love the history involved and also always loved to take things apart and put them back together. Special thanks to Ken at Aero Leather, Barb at Leather Care & Color and Jason at ADV Leather for all their time and help. Will add some pics of the overall jacket in a bit.

Best,

Clay