• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL BRILL BROS., INC. TYPE G-1 INTERMEDIATE FLYING JACKET (USCG)

Ed Rooney

Looks like it originally belonged to an AVIATION ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN PETTY OFFICER 2ND CLASS named Hall, then to an Airman named Peters. When you are an E-3, no one cares what your first name is.

Not sure why an E-3 would sew on a nametag. He would be promoted in a few months.

Maybe 135 signifies the squadron, or inventory number if it was a squadron jacket.

So is it ok to slather this up with persol?

Sadly, the mouton collar fell apart on this one. I gave it a gentle bath in the tub and the collar curled up oddly when it dried, and fur dropped everywhere. I have a feeling it was already starting when I got it. Any recommendations on replacement? I think collar and knits will far exceed the value of the jacket. I was almost thinking of an MA-1 style collar.

Ed Rooney

This jacket has dried fully, and I checked out the collar. The leather of the collar (mouton side) dried to a brittle, solid substance that is far beyond dry rot. I have a feeling that it was dry rotted and the dunking sent it over the edge.

This about as solid as beef jerky, but with no strength. It is weak and brittle.

Attachments

• EAC67C42-1921-41BF-95EC-1D867A60FB54.jpeg
    EAC67C42-1921-41BF-95EC-1D867A60FB54.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115