• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL AMERICAN PAD & TEXTILE CO TYPE L-2 LIGHT ZONE FLYING JACKET

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

Today I would like to share perhaps the rarest bird of all the USAF flight jackets, the Type L-2 Light Zone Flying Jacket made by AMERICAN PAD & TEXTILE CO.

Just before the end of WWII, in 1945, the USAAF tested the Type L-2, a new light zone flight jacket that replaced the A-2. Production running from 1947 to 1949. This flight jacket incorporated an Olive Drab nylon fabric shell, a material produced by DuPont, which was less expensive and less difficult to mass-produce in emergency. It also required less care in handling.

The result was a flight jacket lighter and more flexible. In addition, the lining was made of rayon and wool providing moderate heat retention.

The epaulettes inherited from the A-2, allowed to put through ICS cables and the hose for the emergency oxygen. A leather oxygen mask tab was incorporated to the left chest. Another incorporation was a triangular storm flap on the bottom of the front that was used subsequently on other L-2 models.

The condition of this jacket is incredible considering it’s over 70 years old. All parts are original to the jacket and work perfectly. Some moth holes are present on the knits which is totally normal due to the nature of the material, but they don’t affect its performance.

The right chest depicts a Cadet Civil Air Patrol patch.

The right shoulder depicts a California Wing Civil Air Patrol patch.

The left shoulder depict a color printed U.S. AIR FORCE logo in great shape retaining its original colors.

As a side note, even though is a size 34, it is one of the best examples I have seen so far.

Say no more, enjoy the pics!

Regards,
Jorge
41B58DD5-F903-414F-B736-AA3EF39D637F.jpeg
41F48B4D-3D3E-45D5-A893-44B9B25B7222.jpeg
7CD9D3B9-AD4B-4BE9-934C-71AB74C6B6FB.jpeg
5F205706-F1E6-4F0E-9867-08F90B131FF6.jpeg
A0B94115-0B06-45C0-8039-108D957D3F83.jpeg
14D3E9BB-2048-4B19-ADCB-C77FB4C548B2.jpeg
34125CA9-A63A-44C5-90D0-9335D7B6493F.jpeg
301FB65D-0FD7-4015-988A-7E2BC7FF0794.jpeg
A05424FB-6860-40BA-B7AD-2EAF1EB661CD.jpeg
BA18CAFA-7F3E-45CC-8DDB-E9466FD13439.jpeg

Last edited:

blackrat2

Wow, you’ve only gone and done it again
That’s a nice jacket
Jorge, do you mainly buy with an eye for occasional wear or have you got a list of jackets you want to own, whatever the size?

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Thanks guys! @Smithy @blackrat2
Yes, most of the time I prefer them to be in my size and in wearable condition, but rarity is also taken into account, so I might do exceptions sometimes. My main interest are flight jackets and groupings (USAAF, USAF, USN, USMC), but I also own examples of field and deck jackets. Honestly, most of them I have never worn.

MaydayWei

Sorry for commenting on an old post!
I was doing some research on L2, L2a and L2b jackets and happened to come by this thread.
And I just had to say, goddamn! Another beauty in your amazing collection @Jorgeenriqueaguilera!
Hehe if I may be so cheeky to suggest, seeing as I am incidentally a size 34 in Nylons, that if you ever find yourself liquidating or selling off your size 34 jackets would you be so kind as to keep me in mind Jorge?
A cheeky suggestion, but I couldn't help myself!

Cheers.

MaydayWei

Definitely, @MaydayWei, I’ll you know first if I decide to sell this one, but just in case note that 34 fits more like a XXS in modern standards.

Awesome! and thanks for letting me know about the modern-vintage difference in sizing standards.
Well, if eventually you choose to let it go, we can message each other about the exact measurements then; I feel like exact measurements will be the only way we can really tell. But let's not worry about something that may or may not happen.

Nonetheless, Thank you very much for keeping me in mind @Jorgeenriqueaguilera! :D

Last edited: