• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Aero A-2 - 487th FG - pic heavy

Greg Gale

A few more pics of the original owner :) He flew Preddy's plane (413321) after he returned home in September (?) 1944. Renamed to "Sexhunate".

DSC04216_edited.preview.jpg

images

taikonaut

My Aero with a reddish knits looks like this. A real bad ass of a jacket:)
I wore it on a night out on a pub crawl once in town and the look people gave me!

How much did people offer to buy so I have some idea how much mine is worth?

Micawber

My Aero with a reddish knits looks like this. A real bad ass of a jacket:)
I wore it on a night out on a pub crawl once in town and the look people gave me!

How much did people offer to buy so I have some idea how much mine is worth?

Is yours a patched original with provenance?

taikonaut

Is yours a patched original with provenance?

It is a patched original but not researched. If it has provenance I will not wear it or even attempt to do a minor restoration such as replacing the knits. I will sell it.
As much as I admire jackets with provenence I only keep originals that I don't feel guilty about wearing.

Smithy

Greg I missed this when you posted it, but my word what a cracker of an A-2 and look at that leather!!!!

Absolutely brilliant and a 487th A-2, you must have been like a kid in a candy store when he sent the pics to you ;)

jeremiah

Yeah that type of patina and wear is my favorite. Red undertones. I love that. How old is that one Ken?

That’s a dead wringer for the leather.

Last edited:

johnwayne

There was recently a thread on your Holy Grail jacket and that Aero would be mine or something close to it. Fantastic it's still in the family and sounding like it's appreciated. Best thread on here for ages, thanks Greg.

taikonaut

My WW2 Aero is jerky like this one with lots of patina but are we sure it is horse hide? To me its looks like cows hide, seems thicker too.
BTW mine has not been conditioned and still quite supple, the liner and label is in excellent condition.

Ken at Aero Leather

My WW2 Aero is jerky like this one with lots of patina but are we sure it is horse hide? To me its looks like cows hide, seems thicker too.
BTW mine has not been conditioned and still quite supple, the liner and label is in excellent condition.

It's Horsehide, Chrome Tanned

If you guys like the current Jerky...........I think after a couple of years natural wear it's the nearest anyone had got to what Aero used between 1940 and 1942..........you will LOVE the new upgraded version we are nearly ready to launch

I'm not going to go down the BK path......... Best, Better, even better, the greatest, and better than the greatest and all the rest but, trust me....Watch this space.....

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
It's Horsehide, Chrome Tanned

If you guys like the current Jerky...........I think after a couple of years natural wear it's the nearest anyone had got to what Aero used between 1940 and 1942..........you will LOVE the new upgraded version we are nearly ready to launch

I'm not going to go down the BK path......... Best, Better, even better, the greatest, and better than the greatest and all the rest but, trust me....Watch this space.....
Ken, could you explain please - what's the difference between Jerky HH and Vicenza HH?
Thanks in advance.

jeremiah

Cow And Horse hide has sometimes been so indistinguishable that DNA testing has to be done to rule out one over the other. That said I agree with Ken’s assessment.