• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Aero A-2 - 487th FG - pic heavy

Greg Gale

I'm a member of a certain guitar forum as well, they're just like us but talking about Telecasters and hand-wired vintage amps all day instead of A-2s and B-3s. Long story short, I found a guy whose father served with the 487th, and he still has his jacket. He was kind enough to take some photos for me so that I can share it with you guys. What an amazing piece of history, isn't it?

Dad.jpg
DSCN2710.JPG
DSCN2711.JPG
DSCN2712.JPG
DSCN2713.JPG

2BM2K

Thanks for posting pictures of a superb jacket.
487th Fighter Squadron, 352nd Fighter Group. The blue nosed Mustangs of Bodney.

Cocker

Holly hell, that's an amazing jacket! From the barely readable tag, that'd be a W535ac21996?

jeremiah

That’s awesome. Congrats.

Looks like a really nice lighter russet which was depot re-dyed the seal brown. But man the way this has aged and revealed its true colors is just fantastic and might be the best looking vintage jacket I have ever seen in terms of coolness.

Greg Gale

That’s awesome. Congrats.

Looks like a really nice lighter russet which was depot re-dyed the seal brown. But man the way this has aged and revealed its true colors is just fantastic and might be the best looking vintage jacket I have ever seen in terms of coolness.

Agreed. I told the owner never ever to consider parting with this jacket, it's such a treasure. He said he's already got some really nice offers, but it's just too important for him, so he would never sell it.

jeremiah

When I bought my victory hide dark seal arco I did mainly because I had thought with wear it would one day look similar to this vintage aero.
Sadly It will never without my fiddling with a redye. even then it won’t look like this one. :(

jeremiah

Whoa, what a beautiful Aero! BTW, that's the original finish on that contract. Thanks for posting all the pics Greg!

So not redyed? That’s pretty cool how they made those Aeros then. It’s how I would have made a jacket if I were to make one back then. The wear looks so much better than just plain Jane tan colored leather underneath.

Brent

Thanks for posting this up Greg. The color is like nothing I've seen before. Do you know if the leather has been conditioned with anything? Regardless, nice preserved piece of history.

Regards,