• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orchard Goat G-1 Review

Jaydee

First off these are new jackets and not NOS.

Overall Quality: Mil Spec. Good with a few imperfections (see below)

Hide: Dark Seal thin type Goastkin. Very soft and pliable. Color and Surface type (sheen) appear correct.

Knits and Hardware: Mil Spec.

Mouton: Very nice. Color is to spec.

Liner: Rayon but it's kind of thin. You can see through it. Not sure if it is up to specs but should hold up OK.

Pattern (Size): Mil Spec. Size is a Mil Spec 40R

Defects:
A. Small round 2mm nick and discoloration in the outerlayer of the hide, on the right cuff.
B. Small 1/4" bald spot on the mouton collar edge on the left side.
These items may pass inspection, but for a knitpicker like me I can't live with them. I will probably exchange it for another jacket because without the defects it's a solid, nice jacket for the price. IMO These blow The Cockpit Mil Spec G-1s out of the water!

Shipping: Poor! It arrived crammed into the smaller of the Priority Med Flat Rate Boxes. The jacket had a lot of wrinkles when I pulled it out. They are going away pretty quickly but I doubt they all will go away.

Scent: Heavy new leather smell (Good). My entire upstairs smells like a leather store!

P1010157.jpg

rgraham

Thanks for the great review and photos. I already ordered one, and after seeing the photos, maybe I shouldn't have. Being able to see through the liner really stinks. I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself what comes my way. Still, not bad for a bit over a hundred bucks I guess.

Jaydee

rgraham said:
Thanks for the great review and photos. I already ordered one, and after seeing the photos, maybe I shouldn't have. Being able to see through the liner really stinks. I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself what comes my way. Still, not bad for a bit over a hundred bucks I guess.

Not even bad for $200 . I wouldn't worry about the liner. It is rayon and seems like it should hold up. If it was a darker color it you might not be able to see through it.

Thanks for the review. Did you find yours to run small or true to size? If you don't mind, please let us know how the exchange goes, as I may need to do the same.
Best Regards, Tom

m444uk

Jaydee said:
I wouldn't worry about the liner. It is rayon and seems like it should hold up. If it was a darker color it you might not be able to see through it.

Looks like a nylon liner.
The jacket looks good quality, much nicer than the fake fur/cow ones from the past.

Despite all the negative comments about those cowhide/synthetic mouton G1's of the past, my old Brill Bros. has probably been one of the toughest "to hell and back" jackets that I've ever owned. I am, however, looking forward to having a lighter version in goat as a cool weather spring/fall jacket to alternate with my A2's. I just hope these are worth the price and are not a bunch of military rejects. That packaging looked pretty inexcusable. Tom

Jaydee

tcwu said:
That's only way they can ship it cheap!
Or they can use UPS ground...
They charged only $8.75 for shipping what would you expect? :lol: :lol: :lol:

They shipped mine crammed in the small cube med flat rate. The rectangle med flat rate is the same price and the jacket can be folded like a long sleeve shirt, and slid in with fewer wrinkles resulting.

Good News:

I sent an email to Peter about my return this morning and got an immediate response. He agreed to exchange and to ship it back folded in the rectangle box. No arguments from him and he thanked me for the detailed explanation. I will let you guys know how it goes...
-JD

Atticus

I'm looking forward to getting mine. The photos Jaydee posted look pretty darn good to me. I just hope the fit is right. I ended up buying a size 52. All of my other G-1s are either size 46 or 48, but I had to get a size 52 Orchard to match the measurements of my other jackets. And if it ends up being a bit large, that'll be a good thing. Then I'll be able to wear a fleece vest under it.

I am a bit sorry to hear about the smell. I love the smell of leather, but now I don't know how I'm going to sneak my new jacket into the house. My plan was to just hang it up with the other seven G-1s and not say anything. I think I'm gonna have to come up with a plan B.

AF

hacker

Atticus said:
I am a bit sorry to hear about the smell. I love the smell of leather, but now I don't know how I'm going to sneak my new jacket into the house. My plan was to just hang it up with the other seven G-1s and not say anything. I think I'm gonna have to come up with a plan B.

AF

Light up a good stogie when you wear it and all will be well :idea:

Hack

I just usually have'em shipped to my office and let them hang around and "air out" for a few days. Them wear another of the same type to work and the new one back home. : ) Works pretty well with watches too - my other addition. Tom

Atticus

Tom in Atlanta said:
I just usually have'em shipped to my office and let them hang around and "air out" for a few days. Them wear another of the same type to work and the new one back home. : ) Works pretty well with watches too - my other addition. Tom

Well now...I like that plan. :twisted:

Actually, its my darned jacket, my darned house and my darned money. At least that's what I keep tellin' myself. Its just that I wouldn't want Nurse Ratched...I mean my girlfriend...to think that I got some kind of...well, you know...mental glitch. Who knows? She could think that me buying a new jacket exactly like another seven that I've already got...might indicate...a sort of...well, let me just say it...she might think it could indicate a little....

...issue.

R. P. McMurphy

Jaydee

Tom in Atlanta said:

Wow! Devious! :twisted: :lol:
-JD

m444uk

Jaydee said:
First off these are new jackets and not NOS.

Overall Quality: Mil Spec. Good with a few imperfections (see below)

Hide: Dark Seal thin type Goastkin. Very soft and pliable. Color and Surface type (sheen) appear correct.

Knits and Hardware: Mil Spec.

Mouton: Very nice. Color is to spec.

Liner: Rayon but it's kind of thin. You can see through it. Not sure if it is up to specs but should hold up OK.

Pattern (Size): Mil Spec. Size is a Mil Spec 40R

Defects:
A. Small round 2mm nick and discoloration in the outerlayer of the hide, on the right cuff.
B. Small 1/4" bald spot on the mouton collar edge on the left side.
These items may pass inspection, but for a knitpicker like me I can't live with them. I will probably exchange it for another jacket because without the defects it's a solid, nice jacket for the price. IMO These blow The Cockpit Mil Spec G-1s out of the water!

Shipping: Poor! It arrived crammed into the smaller of the Priority Med Flat Rate Boxes. The jacket had a lot of wrinkles when I pulled it out. They are going away pretty quickly but I doubt they all will go away.

Scent: Heavy new leather smell (Good). My entire upstairs smells like a leather store!

Thanx for the review. Can you add some dimensions for the sake of completeness ?

Jaydee

m444uk said:
Thanx for the review. Can you add some dimensions for the sake of completeness ?

Sorry I forgot that. It is already packed for the return. I will post measurements when I get the exchange.
-JD

fishmeok

[quote="AtticusWell now...I like that plan. :twisted:

Actually, its my darned jacket, my darned house and my darned money. At least that's what I keep tellin' myself. Its just that I wouldn't want Nurse Ratched...I mean my girlfriend...to think that I got some kind of...well, you know...mental glitch. Who knows? She could think that me buying a new jacket exactly like another seven that I've already got...might indicate...a sort of...well, let me just say it...she might think it could indicate a little....

...issue.

R. P. McMurphy[/quote]

I think we all have a little "issue" or many, in my case. Ever watch "Hoarders"? Don't, you'll recognize too many familiar traits... :?

I can send you a bunch of goatskin scraps to cover the smell- just put them in little bowls around the house, like potpurri...
Cheers
Mark

chris m

Tom in Atlanta said:

I love it...this is the exact plan I have used (succefully) for years! If my wife ever took the time notice all of the A2's/G1 etc. that I have in various places around the house, I be in real hot water....