• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orchard G-1 Goat Review No. 2

R7000

I sent my 40R back to Orchard for a swap to a 44R and the 44R fits fine (I'm 5'11 175 lbs).

Like the previous poster, my jacket was shoehorned into a small box so you will want to ask for a flat box.

The leather is very soft and smells great, like a new pair of boots, has a couple of minor flaws (not counting the creases from the box) but I looked at another jacket I bought new from another company a few years ago and that one had shipping creases too that I never noticed before. I will impose my own flaws via motorcycle anyway.

My jacket has the plain collar, which I think is just a G-1 collar with a second layer of goat added on top instead of the mouton, and it is stiched up. The back and throat latch are classic G-1.

Also I noticed my pockets were not buttoned and when I tried to button them I noticed the slits had not been cut (they were stiched however). They were pencil marked for cutting, but not finished. Evidentally the 5:00 pm whistle blew while my pocket cutter lady was about to make the cut and she went home. It was easy enough to cut the slits myself.

A nice touch is that the gun pocket has a snap embossed with the Branded logo of a raging bull.

So if you order one of these, ask them, if it's not too much trouble, to finish fabrication before shipping and then ship in a flat box.

Conclusion: still at great deal at $110.

Regards
Tom

zoomer

I'm not getting a response thru eBay Messages. They sent a size 40 when I BIN'd on a 50. I asked for a 48 in return...silence.

m444uk

Tom, any chance of some dimensions on the 44R and or photo of the collar ?

I did some googling on Orchard Motorcycle distributors and they filed for bankruptcy in 08.
Probably because they are making a loss on every jacket sold !

chris m

R7000 said:
I sent my 40R back to Orchard for a swap to a 44R and the 44R fits fine (I'm 5'11 175 lbs).

Tom, what is your opinion of the stitching on these jackets? From the pictures on Ebay, it appears to be few per inch as compared to older issue G1's.

Thanks for the size info Tom. I'm just about your size (5'11" and 177 lbs) and changed my order from a 42R to 44R, so hopefully mine will fit OK without an exchange. Were there any flaws on yours besides the button hole slits and wrinkles? Tom #2

zoomer

deeb7 said:
Having a bad week, Paul? :?
The 'Bay will do that to you sometimes.
I got 4 items in in the past 2 weeks. 2 were misshipments and one not quite as advertised.
However my Frye Keith boots really kick a! :D

zoomer

All seriousness aside, it's too slushy here to do much but galumph in galoshes. The Fryes aren't leaving the house for awhile.

Atticus

My G-1 came today. I have returned it for a larger size.

Please let me say this: Judging from what I saw today, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of these jackets. If the larger jacket turns out to be as good as the one I got today...and I've no reason to think it won't...it will likely become my most worn G-1...hands down.

As to size...I normally wear a size 48 G-1, but I like loose fitting jackets. Military sung does nothing for me. I ordered a size 52R Orchard and it fit like a snug size 48 Star Sportswear. I'm thinking that a size 54R Orchard will be exactly right. So if my experience is any guide, larger guys need to order three sizes larger than they normally wear in military jackets. It may be important to note that I wear a size 46R sports jacket...and that is usually a loose fit. So for someone who is larger and who doesn't know his size in issued G-1s, ordering four sizes larger than his civilian jackets perhaps may be best.

AF

R7000

I spoke to them on the phone today about an order. The shipping dude was out today but the gentleman was polite and we've arranged to talk tomorrow about a shipping issue.

Tom

chris m

Has anyone received one of these cow hide jackets? If so, I wonder what the quality and thickness of the leather is. The picture makes the leather to be pretty soft and thick.