• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orchard A-2 Opinions

442RCT

With all the positive reviews about Orchard's G-1s lately, which they've reinstated on ebay.

Orchard is now selling goat A-2s on ebay for $ 110+shipping.

1. Opinion in regards to quality of these jackets. Is the G-1 a better buy than the A-2 ?
they both seem like pretty good deals for the money.
2. Does anyone have any experience with the sizing of the Orchard A-2s ?
If Orchard is "custom sizing" these on orders, I'd like to take advantage.
In a Cooper, I wear a 42, but the sleeves are about 1 1/2" too long.
Would a 42 Short be my best bet ?
3. Since I already have a doz. A-2s, should I forget about buying an Orchard A-2 and wait for a used ELC/Aero/LW , etc. to pop up on ebay ?

http://shop.ebay.com/orchardmotorcycled ... ksid=p4340

R7000

If you don't have a G-1 in your stable you should have at least one IMHO.

The G-1 has more features than the A-2 and is more complex. I like it better than the A-2 but that's just me.

Tom

442RCT

Roughwear said:
I'm with David on this one.

:lol: A Sefton, an Aero and a ELC in my size just popped up on the bay.
I know how ELCs are sized, I wear a sz 40, but what about Seftons ? Would a Sefton in a 40 run small or true to size ?
Based on experience, an Aero runs small and tight.

442RCT

R7000 said:
If you don't have a G-1 in your stable you should have at least one IMHO.

The G-1 has more features than the A-2 and is more complex. I like it better than the A-2 but that's just me.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I own a half doz or so original G-1s , and another half doz repro A-2s, I'm just one of those guys who can't seem to pass up a good deal and need to take the advice given and buy more for quality vs quantity.

And I agree with you about the G-1, they're a more comfortable and better fitting jacket for me with the bi-swing back, but I like the look of an A-2 more, that's why I buy both.

ps- to confuse things more, I also 'collect' Avirex/Cockpit noseart lambskin A-2 mall jackets, I have a half doz of those too. :oops:

Atticus

I've owned an Orchard A-2 for years. I bought it back when I was buying current-issue A-2s. Not repros or "mil-specs"...but A-2s that had actually seen service.

I still have several Saddlerys, a couple of Avirex, and the one Orchard. I've never owned an issued Cockpit A-2. Of the three manufacturers (Saddlery, Avirex/Cockpit and Orchard), my Orchard is most like a WWII A-2 in cut and style. It has higher arm holes and a slimmer cut. It isn't skimpy...I normally wear a size 48, and the size 46 Orchard fits fine. It is just a slimmer-cut, more WWII-like jacket. Also, the Orchard's goatskin has the most pronounced grain and is the thickest of my six A-2s.

VLJ old-farts, look away, cause I'm gonna post the photo again. I've always been a champion of Orchard A-2s, so I've posted this photo many times in context of many threads...but here it comes, again. I think the picture is circa 2003 or 2004...anyhow, it was sometime during GeeDubya's first term.

Dscn3648.jpg

AF

B-Man2

Atticus;

I like the fit of your Orchard A2. I'm thinking about getting one, for the price you can't beat the deal. I'm 6 ' 2'' and 225 lbs and I wear somewhere between a loose 44R and a tight 46 in A2's. Would you mind posting the measurements of your 46 for me. It would help me decide on a size.

Regards
Burt

Atticus

B-Man2 said:
Atticus;

I like the fit of your Orchard A2. I'm thinking about getting one, for the price you can't beat the deal. I'm 6 ' 2'' and 225 lbs and I wear somewhere between a loose 44R and a tight 46 in A2's. Would you mind posting the measurements of your 46 for me. It would help me decide on a size.

Regards
Burt

Here 'ya go, Bert....but let me issue this disclaimer. My Orchard A-2 is eighteen years old and my more recent experience with Orchard tells me that their sizing is now very different from other jacket makers. I had to order a size 54 G-1 to get the loose fit I like. I normally wear a size 48 in military G-1s.

Tagged Size - 46R
21" - Shoulders (straight across back at sleeve juncture)
24 1/2" - Back between arm pits (jacket zipped)
24" - Front between arm pits (jacket zipped)
25" - Back length (base of collar to bottom of waistband)
22 1/2" - Front length (top of zipper to bottom of zipper box)
25" - Sleeve (shoulder seam to end of cuff)

AF

zoomer

If anyone pulls the trigger on one of these, please kindly review here!

Based on Atticus' pic, I'm tempted myself. I've outgrown half my A-2s and have no beater or patcher.

If they're using the same spec of goat as in the G-1s, it's very soft to the touch and has a nice luster.

Jaydee

zoomer said:
If anyone pulls the trigger on one of these, please kindly review here!

Based on Atticus' pic, I'm tempted myself. I've outgrown half my A-2s and have no beater or patcher.

If they're using the same spec of goat as in the G-1s, it's very soft to the touch and has a nice luster.

It looks to be a lighter brown in the ebay pics than the G-1 Goat. Sort of a chocolate color....that would be cool.

Atticus

Here's another photo from my "oldie but goodie" collection which may be of use to this thread. It shows the color difference among three current issue A-2s. Clockwise from upper left: 1988 Saddlery, 1992 Orchard, 1998 Avirex.

The Orchard and the Avirex are very close in color...and they are both about the same color as my '67 Star G-1, that is, more seal and less brown.

Dscn3642.jpg

AF