• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Perry Sportswear - Real McCoys...

ausreenactor

Gents....

Want to get a few opinions on this one. The finish appears like the original Andrew loaned JC for the GW repro in some areas. Appears like a fake aging in some areas though the dying process could account for some of it...Input greatly appreciated as always..

hiro438jun-img600x450-1215904613fks.jpg

hiro438jun-img600x450-1215904614yzn.jpg

hiro438jun-img600x450-12159046142sg.jpg

Are these hard to come by?? I know I can get a hard to beat version from JC, but this one is available now. Thanks for your time...

Couchy

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I like it Couchy, RIARUMAKKOIZU, hard to find.

If you have a plan to get it out of Japan .... go for it.

T-Bolt

Nice looking jacket........it is tagged as a size 40, so keeping in line with standard McCoy sizing, does that mean is about "normal" size 38??

Ted

better duck

I am absolutely no expert, but looking at the photos one thing immediately draws attention: the immaculate state of the lining / label / hanger versus the used and worn look of the outside of the jacket. That indicates "artificially aged" IMHO. No way that hanger would look razor straight if that jacket has been worn - and hung from the hanger just a few times.

A lot of leather jackets put out by McCoy's and Toyo intended exclusively for the Japanese maket seem to feature a leather with the thinnest of spray-dyed topcoats that are designed to "age" quickly. My Toyo grizzly, Toyo Indian jacket, and McCoys halfbelt all have leather like this, it appears that Perry does too. While I understand where the companies are coming from and the jackets all look really cool, none has or will ever have patinas that'll compare to time-worn vintage jackets. I'd skip it and save up for an original, in that size you'd find one fairly easy.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
T-Bolt said:
Nice looking jacket........it is tagged as a size 40, so keeping in line with standard McCoy sizing, does that mean is about "normal" size 38??

It's RMJ, and it looks like recent production, so presumably not related to RMNZ, or it's sizing.

And, of course, I have to add that my RMNZ measure the same as originals, so it's everyone else that's out of step. :)

ausreenactor

Splashed out as it was under US$500, the same as the House Eastman 40 from Denmark I let slide this morning. Will see how it looks in the flesh. Let you know in a few weeks...

Thanks for the emails...

Couchy

airfrogusmc

deeb7 said:
T-Bolt said:

It's RMJ, and it looks like recent production, so presumably not related to RMNZ, or it's sizing.

And, of course, I have to add that my RMNZ measure the same as originals, so it's everyone else that's out of step. :)

David I think where RMNZ sizing gets strange is in the larger sizes. My size 52 RMNZ Dubow was 26 pit to pit. Pauls original Dubow size 52 is 28.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
airfrogusmc said:
David I think where RMNZ sizing gets strange is in the larger sizes. My size 52 RMNZ Dubow was 26 pit to pit. Pauls original Dubow size 52 is 28.

Yes, you are right there, Allen ... and also many of those larger sizes are custom, and may be fitted with the nearest size label available.

asiamiles

Miles_Archer said:
A lot of leather jackets put out by McCoy's and Toyo intended exclusively for the Japanese maket seem to feature a leather with the thinnest of spray-dyed topcoats that are designed to "age" quickly. My Toyo grizzly, Toyo Indian jacket, and McCoys halfbelt all have leather like this, it appears that Perry does too.

Which Toyo Indian jacket do you have?

asiamiles

D-pocket, red plaid lining, like a Harley Cycle Champ.

Nice jacket. I had one but it was a bit too short while the arms were far too long. Mine also had signs of the outer layer wearing off, such as where the zipper pull had scraped the leather.

Rufus

Heya Miles ( x 2!)

I bought your jacket Miles (The cyclechamp, but bizarrely with Indian stamp inside), it is indeed spray died, and is scratching off.. looks good though. Not a million miles from the old AMF jackets..

I saw a couple of variations of the jacket in Ueno, and the McCoys Buco, which had a strange, cardboardy thin hide...

How's your jacket looking Miles A?

:) ruf

marineabilly

asiamiles said:
D-pocket, red plaid lining, like a Harley Cycle Champ.

Nice jacket. I had one but it was a bit too short while the arms were far too long. Mine also had signs of the outer layer wearing off, such as where the zipper pull had scraped the leather.

Wow, how ironic that I've been lusting over this jacket and now have a resource of people who can provide feedback on it. This is the one, right?

Here are my questions:

How is the leather quality? It says horsehide, but how thick/thin? The 1st photo makes it look thick, but the second photo of the model makes it appear a little pleathery

What kind of zippers are used?

The same lining appears to be used on a lot of Japan moto reproductions - is it thick/thin lining?

What sizes did you get (miles_archer / asiamiles)? I'm 5' 4" 140lbs and was thinking perhaps a 36 (i normally wear a 38).

The sleeves are obviously too long, but nothing a tailor can't take care of (i had my legendary.com buco sleeves shortened for about $30)

I do like the high waisted look on vintage jackets, so the short waist is fine.

** Photos of your used jacket would be awesome!!

**a quick review would be great!! Cheers!

img10179334.jpg
img10272225903.jpeg
img10179339.jpg
img10179341.jpg

img10179343.jpg

asiamiles

I sold the jacket to Rufus so can't make any more first-hand reports, but I would say those photos represent the jacket quite well. From what I remember the hide wasn't very heavy; maybe similar weight to BR's A-2 flight jacket hide. I'm not sure I'd recommend going down in size; mine was the correct size but the jacket was too short and the sleeves far too long for me.

marineabilly

asiamiles said:
I sold the jacket to Rufus so can't make any more first-hand reports, but I would say those photos represent the jacket quite well. From what I remember the hide wasn't very heavy; maybe similar weight to BR's A-2 flight jacket hide. I'm not sure I'd recommend going down in size; mine was the correct size but the jacket was too short and the sleeves far too long for me.

Thanks a bunch, asiamiles!! Overall, do you remember it being a well constructed and solid jacket? It's originally priced at just under $800 (79,000 yen) and is on sale for approx $550. Would you say this is a good price? I'm in the market for my first mil-spec A-2 or A-1, so I'm tyring to decide if I should save my money.

asiamiles

Depends on whether it's new or used, and more importantly if you have to pay any extras on top of that eg. shipping. It's certainly more than I paid and subsequently sold it for, though the exchange rate has changed since then, but then so has the economy.