• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on this patch ?

bombs away

Hello,

I'd like to have your opinions on this 716th BG (449th BG) patch : wartime made or not ?
Seller says it doesn't glow.
Sounds quite good to me, but any other opinion is welcomed.

9008133857_c9a36ea83a_b_d.jpg

9008134725_91e4cedafa_b_d.jpg

Thank you !

Tim

unclegrumpy

I hate to say this, but I think this is a reproduction. While I do not recall specifically seeing a 716th BS, I have seen other patches made exactly the same way, with the exactly the same aging, that I knew for a fact were bad.

Not to say this is the only way they ever were made, but all the 716th BS patches I have seen in groups or on jackets were Italian made, painted, incised, leather.

The design is a bit different too....the same elements, but on the unquestionable originals, the skull is bigger and machine gun and bomb smaller....also, most often with "716" in the background.

a2jacketpatches

unclegrumpy said:
I hate to say this, but I think this is a reproduction. While I do not recall specifically seeing a 716th BS, I have seen other patches made exactly the same way, with the exactly the same aging, that I knew for a fact were bad.

Not to say this is the only way they ever were made, but all the 716th BS patches I have seen in groups or on jackets were Italian made, painted, incised, leather.

The design is a bit different too....the same elements, but on the unquestionable originals, the skull is bigger and machine gun and bomb smaller....also, most often with "716" in the background.

Agreed, fake, there's a number of these out there, different squadrons from different theaters, all made the same way. They are nice looking patches for sure, but he back gives it away for me. got 2 negs for selling fakes as well.

bombs away

Hi,

No worry about telling your opinion. Thank you for speaking frankly.

In fact I can't find any picture of a 100% guaranted original patch from this unit.
None of all wartime pics I know from this unit is good enough to see the patch sewn on a jacket.

I guess I know the kind of repro patch you're talking about. I've already had some of them in hands, the back is a bit different with much more black threads.

Tim

unclegrumpy

I found this photo on the web. This version is like originals I have seen, but not knowing where this one came from, it could be good or could be one of Roberto's masterpieces....hard to tell sometimes these days :cry:

716th_Bomb_Squadron_Patch_Italian_Leather_-_SUPERCOOL__1_1.jpg