• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open cockpit day

Andrew

Had a great day today. Unseasonably cold day for us (temps hovering around 14-16deg C- about 57+) yeah I know sounds funny but it's rare here, combined with an open cockpit day at the local air museum which only has static stuff made for my perfect storm.

The Navy sent up some choppers to do a little show, I had a great day out with my boys infecting them with plane germs, I met a Lib Pilot and yarned about B-24's and Irvins (he was RAAF but serving with the RAF in Italy- Aussie skipper with Brit crew. He still has his original Irvin. I asked him if he'd like to try mine on and was chuffed. I got to wear one of my Irvins (probably the funnest bit) and got to sit in the Spit with said Irvin and conduct tests on how practical or comfortable it would have been if you were over 6 foot in 1943 and to see if the wear marks on the outer sleeves of this particular Irvin may have been made by the action of leather against aluminium... the wear marks and the walls of the cockpit align perfectly- what a great day.

Trying a Seahawk Chopper on for size- my littlest guy loves all things that Man can control....

DSC_0063.jpg

RAN Squirrels dancing

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

This man drove a Liberator over Italy for a job. I love meeting these guys, and this one's young at 85...

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Irvin in it's element

DSC_0149.jpg

Check out where the compass is located- way down near the floor. It's easy to see how many got their noses and a lot more broken on the reflector sight- there's not much room in there but it wasn't impossible to imagine actually flying it even at my size with jacket on.

great fun.

DSC_0152.jpg

rich

Congratulations Andrew, looks like you had a great day. I really envy you sitting in the Spitfire cockpit, that's one of my aims in
life before I shuffle off! And doing it while wearing an original Irvin is just icing on the cake, must have been great. So now I'm off to seeth........... gnash....... gnash.......

Hawkeye

Always great to see an Irvin back in its original element.

Your Irvin is a mid-30's example right? You need to get it where it really belongs, in some Hawker Harts or Furys!