• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Onwards to a better BK

Skip

It still looks better in person. I think it’s a decent match for the BK antique russet. Not saying it’s the exact same but close.

Spot on J, thats the closest you'll get to it, its really not far off mine, just more seal than russet. Correct me if Im wrong but this jacket was one of there very early ones yes? in which they may have been experimenting to get that antique look which you now have. Lucky lad you. Glad it worked out for you

jeremiah

Yeah this was an early hide but the Japanese tannery. Misunderstood what they wanted for finish I guess. The color was not antiqued at all but very glossy chocolate brown pigment.

Pilot

Hi J. nice work.
Does the “dye stay stable “ ? If you wear a white T-shirt underneath, does it have some marks/stains of the dye after a certain time ... a full day or so ?
I have some issues like that on an ELC.
Nice job anyway.

Last edited:

A2 B3au

All things considered I rekon you've made a great choice as you have a couple of cracking jackets along with this too shiny BK so you had nothing to lose. Yes you have made it look better IMO, the colour once stripped reminds me of a pic of a jacket used on ELC website in the comparison pic of one of the originals they use to copy and us an improvement

Greg Gale

Man, your first post made me freak out, but the end result is awesome! Looks just like an original to me, better than any “big maker” time worn option. Perfect color, not overdone. Great job! Can’t wait to see some fit pics.

jeremiah

Hi J. nice work.
Does the “dye stay stable “ ? If you wear a white T-shirt underneath, does it have some marks/stains of the dye after a certain time ... a full day or so ?
I have some issues like that on an ELC.
Nice job anyway.

I used an oil dye which is called pro dye by fiebings. Oil dyes tend to sink in and set better. You can buff oil dyes and when I did so with a rag none bled off. Then I used the buff cream over that to bring out the color and put some luster back into it. Again not much came off on my buffing rag. Liner looks great so nothing bleeding off from the underside but I did not saturate the leather in the dye.

Time will tell.

Thanks guys. Appreciate your comments.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

better than any “big maker” time worn option. Perfect color, not overdone. Great job!

Aero have never aged anything other than work for LVC and that was done on a mass production industrial level (hence quicker) and yet nowhere nearly as sucessfully as Jeremiah's job.......... but in our defence, Levis wanted a far rougher finish. I reckon close to 2 hours handling/aging/washing/shaping went into each LVC jacket, I'd love to know how long this beautiful job took.................. Jeremiah?

2BM2K

Alchemy! Plastic leather to real leather.

When I saw the first photo I was not convinced that it would end well. But the finished item looks superb.

jeremiah

Ken,
I have done projects much faster but with this I was not getting enough of the pigment off with just a gentle rubbing so I switched to a more abrasive surface like a dish washing sponge with the green back. I tested in an area to be sure I was not harming the leather as that’s not what I wanted to do. This hide is so wrinkled and grainy and the more abrasive tool was getting at the low spots better. Again, from the start my goal was to redye not to make it look time worn or like a an original. That just pleasantly happened.

So from start to finish as in a coat of the Venetian cream for sealing and buffing, id guess I put in 1.5 hrs max. This was done in stages so some things took longer. Actually I did not apply that much dye. The pro dye (alcohol based) I used was thinned with alcohol which diluted it. I like to build up layers rather than slap it on Like an ape. You can always apply more this way.

I think the hardest part with projects like this is something Greg pointed out. When to call it a ball and be done with it. If I had gone more with the dye it might have pushed the edge and not turned out like it did. Something I am continuing to learn.

Ken, If you sent me a pair of your boots I can see if I can match it up:D

Last edited:

Persimmon

The moccasin king wants his boots !!!

Ha ha. Have you thought about in the meantime, distressing the moccasins to make them more acceptable to the masses ?

jeremiah

Two fit pics. Color obviously not the best due to lighting outside.
FE69DEE0-EEAB-495A-9997-5575C0E9F35C.jpeg
0704A8B6-4ED1-41EB-B3BC-C136DE7C2AAD.jpeg

jeremiah

I am happy to have three now to rotate between wearing. Each are different enough too in terms of leather and make.